Haley's Reviews > Catherine, Called Birdy

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman

F 50x66
Apr 04, 2011

Read in January, 2011

I actually caught myself looking forward to spare minutes in which I could squeeze in a few more entries of Catherine’s sassiness. Her adolescent spirit was contagious and allied with the fourteen year-old still largely a part of me, but which doesn’t have the opportunity to often resurface. It was fun to feel an insider of Catherine’s particularly opinionated world, while also experiencing the ins and outs of late 13th century England. In fact, there may be no better way to experience it. Catherine’s success as my heroine of the medieval world may have largely to do with the humor in which Karen Cushman was able to manifest Catherine’s vibrant personality, even despite our difference of time and culture. Coupled with the mostly short diary entry format, the task of also learning the flavor of medieval culture never once seemed overwhelming or boring in the reading process. Also fun were the Saint’s facts at the beginning of every entry. I appreciated the consistency they provided each entry and the additional wit the character of Catherine was able to surmise from them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catherine, Called Birdy.

01/12/2017 marked as: read