Colleen Turner's Reviews > What You Have Left

What You Have Left by Will Allison

it was ok
bookshelves: first-read

I received this book as a first read from Goodreads.

I have to say I was disappointed in this book. From the description it sounds like a redemptive, heart warming book that might showcase some dark times but, in the end, show that most people are good at heart. Instead I could only find one character in the book I didn't loathe, and that was the youngest member of this dysfunctional family that is only ten years old at the most recent part of the book (it skips back and forth over time and narrators). Everyone else comes off as selfish, immature and prone to wild impulses. Each one tries to screw the other one over and, in the end, they don't seem to resolve much of anything. It is more like a disquieting truce then a closure. Not one of the various relationships between the family is healthy. I honestly had to make myself continue to read it. I have a pet peeve that I cannot finish a book once I have started it, but I am pretty sure if this book was longer I would have made myself stop. To be fair, the book is written well and flows as steadily as a book that skips around can. In the end, whoever, the writing does not make up for a plot I really didn't like.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What You Have Left.

April 4, 2011 – Shelved