Angie Elle's Reviews > Rookie Move

Rookie Move by Sarina Bowen

it was ok

There’s a teaser out there for this book that goes something like this:

We don't have one night stands, Georgia. We have forever-night stands.

Total cheese factor 500, and it was almost enough to make me walk away from this book. I decided to tough it out because I love Sarina Bowen, and I don’t typically find her dialogue to be so cheesy. I will say the cheese in this one was minimal, but I didn’t care for this book for other reasons. For one, this book felt as padded with information I didn’t need and too much description; it really hindered the pacing for me. For another, Georgia was so immature at times I wasn’t convinced she’s ready for an adult relationship. There was a scene where Leo was spending the night at her apartment, and her father (who disapproved of Leo,) had stopped by unexpectedly. I think the whole scene was supposed to be funny while she tried to hide Leo’s presence, but to me it just felt like, as with the entire book, Leo was getting the shaft. (And not in the good M/M way that Sarina writes the hell out of.) Georgia hit the jackpot as far as I’m concerned. She found a sexy man who loves her to bits and will forgive anything she does, no matter how stupid and shallow her reasons are. In line with the pacing, this book relied too much on the past to make the intensity of Georgia and Leo’s love credible, but it didn’t work. The timing was off so bad that at the end (view spoiler). Leo and Georgia, sadly, were the most boring characters in this book. I didn’t really connect with any of the Brooklyn Bruisers, but I did love Nate (the team’s owner) and Becca. Should they get a book, I will give it a try.

If you’ve never read Sarina Bowen before, please do not let this review deter you from giving her a go. Her NA is on a plane by itself as far as I’m concerned; no one writes it better. Especially the aforementioned M/M. Rookie Move just didn't do it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rookie Move.

March 21, 2016 – Shelved
March 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 28, 2016 – Started Reading
August 28, 2016 –
August 29, 2016 –
September 1, 2016 –
September 1, 2016 –
September 3, 2016 –
35.0% "Ha! I went to high school with someone who drove a hearse!"
September 3, 2016 –
September 15, 2016 –
September 19, 2016 –
September 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Corina☞BookTwinsReviews Great, honest review! It was ok for me, very sweet but nothing special. It will land on the I've-already-forgotten-plot pile.

Angie Elle Thank you, Corina. I wanted to love this one, but it fell short. I agree - very forgettable.