Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Daybreak Rising

Daybreak Rising by Kiran Oliver

I'll be posting my full review of this one on Books and Ladders as part of New Adult August!

I think this one was pretty good but I had some difficulty following the story line 100% of the time. I think that the plot could have used a little more polishing because there are things I'm a little confused about that I should have a pretty firm grasp on after finishing the whole novel. The magic system was really intricate, well thought out, and well explained. However, the novel didn't give me enough to understand why there was an uprising, what the uprising was supposed to be doing, etc. etc. which was kind of disappointing in that sense.

Read this as part of the #ReadProud Challenge.

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daybreak Rising.

March 21, 2016 – Shelved
June 22, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 22, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-release
June 22, 2016 – Shelved as: september-2016
June 22, 2016 –
2.0% "I do really like that this starts off with the MC having failed at her task. You don't see that a lot in Fantasy."
June 22, 2016 –
6.0% "I'm a little confused and it's not super easy to keep everyone straight. I feel like I'm getting a couple characters mixed up."
June 22, 2016 –
8.0% "oh man there are two names being used for the same person which was tripping me tf up."
June 22, 2016 –
18.0% "I'm a little confused about the whole Council thing but I'm hoping it gets worked out in the next little bit."
June 22, 2016 –
28.0% "are they literally recruiting people on the street? How are they allowed to do that?"
June 22, 2016 –
35.0% "the passage of time in this one is a little ... off for me. I'm keeping up but I'm having trouble sticking with the timeline."
June 22, 2016 –
40.0% "I like that Adan explains things to her without making her feel inadequate and also allows her to try to do something and offers help so they can escape. This exchange is really well done."
June 22, 2016 –
45.0% "no please don't sit there and tell me everything for a full 5% like I'm anticipating."
June 22, 2016 –
49.0% "I'm not sure if I'm getting it. Was the plan to just have her burn everyone? Because that's a stupid af plan."
June 22, 2016 –
52.0% "Oh-kay. So it was literally just burn everyone for the plan which is 100% stupid."
59.0% "I'm lost again."
June 22, 2016 –
66.0% "I guess I'm still not seeing why they need to take the Council down. Like sure they are doing some bad things but it seems like pretty typical things that you could expect in a Fantasy world. Nothing really above and beyond that?"
June 22, 2016 –
70.0% "I hope that something really awesome happens soon."
June 22, 2016 –
74.0% "I still don't think I quite understand why she was supposed to complete the mission on her own at first (and what the mission was and how she was going to do it)."
June 22, 2016 –
74.0% "actually. I don't even know what the mission is NOW. Why do we need all these people? Why are their magical abilities and talents necessary? Can someone please tell me?"
June 22, 2016 –
77.0% "Everyone else knows about the operative??? Why don't *I* know about the operative??"
June 22, 2016 –
80.0% "when did a YEAR pass?"
June 22, 2016 –
88.0% "I think that scenario would have been better if we didn't KNOW they were being sold out before it happened. More of a twist."
June 22, 2016 –
91.0% "I totally saw that coming even though there was NO LEAD UP TO IT WHATSOEVER"
June 22, 2016 – Finished Reading