Eva • All Books Considered's Reviews > A Song to Take the World Apart

A Song to Take the World Apart by Zan Romanoff

12919649

liked it

Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 3 STARS

This started off so good! I really liked the feel of this when I first started reading it but that feeling was a bit misleading. I liked Lorelei as a Sophomore with a crush on Chris, the lead singer of a local band (and a Senior at her high school). I liked her anticipation of going to shows and of little interactions with Chris in the hallway. The real problem with this book was when the magical realism started to happen. This book is loosely based and/or has elements of the Sirens myth and when those elements started becoming a part of the story, they were not explained well enough/described with sufficient accuracy as so to actually be interesting or a realistic narrative. Still, even considering that, I liked this more than most probably will. I really liked Lorelei and her twin brothers, Nik and Jens. They were well flushed out characters for me and I liked reading about their lives without any of the mythology. I seriously wish this had just been a straight up contemporary YA -- trying to infuse the paranormal/mythology just muddied it up and, ultimately, didn't help this book.

I think this book is described a contemporary YA with magical realism -- that is fairly accurate but I'm not sure to what I would compare this. I did have definite vibes of both Kissing Ted Callahan by Amy Spalding (LA + band vibes) and My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent (not knowing what you are/paranormal vibes) so you may want to give this a try if you're a fan of either. A Song to Take the World Apart comes out today September 13, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.

She didn't recognize the gentle lick of warmth in her belly as want. She only knew that it was unfamiliar, the way the sensation lit her up. That was the day she discovered why they call it longing: because desire is full of distance and unfilled space.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song to Take the World Apart.

March 21, 2016 – Shelved
March 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 4, 2016 – Started Reading
September 4, 2016 –
4.0% "She didn't recognize the gentle lick of warmth in her belly as want. She only knew that it was unfamiliar, the way the sensation lit her ip. That was the day she discovered why they call it longing: because desire is full of distance and unfilled space."
September 5, 2016 –