Lynn's Reviews > The Fight for English: How Language Pundits Ate, Shot, and Left

The Fight for English by David Crystal

Apr 03, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from April 03 to May 08, 2011

Interesting book about grammar and the English Language in general. I enjoyed its many insights and discussion about language pundits who are Zero Tolerance about language errors. But David Crystal still complains about the lack of teaching grammar in schools and begins some of the argument all over again. It is one resource that helps me understand the English language better.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fight for English.

04/10/2011 page 16
6.0% "This is a pretty entertaining book! Going over the history of English." 2 comments
05/08/2011 page 68
27.0% "Great line. If Shakespere had lived now, he would have written more correctly!"
05/08/2011 page 88
34.0% "As Great Britain grew in population and travel became easier and more likely in the 18th Century, the elite became more worried about the English language. Especially among the new landed gentry who seemingly broke the rules of gentility and language continually."
04/14/2016 marked as: read

Amanda A common sense approach after Truss' effort... Although I do wish he didn't critisise her so much! I felt like he missed the point a bit in demonising her.

Lynn Haven't started yet!

Amanda Opps! Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's food for thought and a must read if you're into linguistics.

Lynn Amanda wrote: "Opps! Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's food for thought and a must read if you're into linguistics."

No problem just didn't understand your comments due to ignorance of material. ESOL teacher but not so into the intricacies of linguistics. At least not as I understand them.