Dee-Ann's Reviews > When Horse Became Saw: A Family's Journey Through Autism

When Horse Became Saw by Anthony Macris

Apr 03, 2011

bookshelves: australian-authors, autism, memoir, five-star

I really enjoyed this book. I have read many books on the topic, though not for a while, but it was interesting to read a book from an Australian perspective and as the circumstances of Alex's autisms sounded similar to that of my son's.

The book is about a family's journey for the first three years of their son, Alex's life. Alex for the first year or more did not exhibit any signs of autism, the opposite in fact, which is simislar to my son who talked, played soccer, was sociable etc up unitl almost 2 years of age. And then a rapid but subtle deterioration in speech, development and social skills took place.

Alex's dad discusses how this move into the world of autism affected his family which is similar for us, except that our son was not an only child at the time. Alex's dad talks about his findings of some of the much research he did in the early stages and of his frustration on the timeliness, quality and quantity of services which were available for his son. It still has not changed that much!

Alex's family decide to go down one path of therapy, which we did not pursue due to not being avaible where we are located and the cost is prohibitive, and it is great to see the successes he had, but I think we have achieved similar, but possibly we could have achieved more, then again we may have lost some too, as we had other children to consider as well.

Anyhow fascinating reading and I recommend it to any family who is going through the 'journey'.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Horse Became Saw.

April 3, 2011 – Started Reading
April 3, 2011 – Shelved
April 3, 2011 –
page 5
1.56% "very easy to read"
April 5, 2011 –
page 6
1.88% "still early days but it has a compelling style"
April 6, 2011 –
page 50
15.63% "I sat with this book for 30 minutes and plowed through 45 pages, not trouble. I can relate to so much of the early bits of this book, it was akin to reading a horror novel, in that I knew what was lurking around the corner and how scary the initial phase of suspecting and finding ut you previously 'norrmal' son is now autistic."
April 7, 2011 –
page 70
21.88% "now it is the period of frustration ... waiting for help"
April 10, 2011 –
page 151
47.19% "bit whiny on the poor me part, but it is like that when you are going through it."
April 11, 2011 –
page 164
51.25% "can really relate to this memoir"
April 13, 2011 –
page 170
53.13% "I am so enjoying and/or relating to this. It is giving me a new/fresh perspective of some of my son's past and present traits"
April 13, 2011 –
page 180
56.25% "deciding about whether to go down the path of ABA"
April 16, 2011 –
page 293
91.56% "making me feel guilty that I did not do more, but enjoying the book despite these feelings"
April 16, 2011 – Finished Reading
April 17, 2011 – Shelved as: australian-authors
April 17, 2011 – Shelved as: autism
April 17, 2011 – Shelved as: memoir
April 17, 2011 – Shelved as: five-star

message 1: by Debby (new)

Debby Thanks for your review and for your vulnerability. I have a 22-yr-old nephew who has PDD and another nephew whose 4-yr-od son started this school year at a special therapy school for kids with Autism in conjunction with the public pre-schol program. These are a son of one of my brothers and the grandson of my other brother.
The increased incidence of Autism being diagnosed is mind-boggling to me. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks again for your candid review.