Victoria's Reviews > True Believer

True Believer by Nicholas Sparks

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011

** spoiler alert ** At the beginning of the year, someone I know lent me three Nicholas Sparks books, and even though I typically don't like these overblown romantic-type stories, I read all three of them.

While I can't say that I didn't enjoy the process of reading them or get emotionally involved in the story line, I will objectively say that I don't much appreciate Nicholas Sparks' version of romance. I don't believe that falling in love with someone in the short space of a week is possible or healthy. [I know, I know - it's a book! Willful suspension of disbelief! I get it, but still...]

Also, I dislike the "run-give-chase" way that Lexie kept running away from Jeremy, hoping he'd come running after her. This method of asking a man to prove his love is unfair to both a woman's intelligence and a man's dignity. Relationships are supposed to be 50-50 two-way streets. (Sure, we all know they're not, it's give and take, but to run away and ask a man to lay it all on the line and run after you is selfish and juvenile.)

While we're at it, let's talk about how Lexie wanted Jeremy to move to Boone Creek instead of her following him to NYC. I know it can be degrading to pick up and follow a man willy-nilly to where he has family and friend, leaving yours behind. But, he has a LOT of family in NYC and a lucrative career. She has one member of a family and, from what I can tell, no active social life. It felt like she was just being stubborn and asking him to do something on principle that could hurt his career. It seemed unfair that she would want that, and it seemed absolutely ludicrous that he actually did it. LUDICROUS.

Finally, let's touch on the ending. Um, CHEESE. That is all. UGH.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Believer.

April 1, 2011 – Started Reading
April 2, 2011 – Finished Reading
April 3, 2011 – Shelved
April 3, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie With knowing this I think it will be more understanding when I read At first sight