Brittany's Reviews > The Journeyman

The Journeyman by Michael Alan Peck

liked it
bookshelves: zchallenge-2016, action, arcs, dystopian, fantasy-paranormal, fiction, romance, reviews, young-adult

Check out my blog to see Reviews of Book and Movies, and check out some Recipes!

The Journeyman is Book one of the Commons series and is a very fascination novel in idea.
The story revolves around a troubled teen named Paul, and the beginning of the book is built around him getting onto a bus to head away from his troubled life. Before and during his snowy bus ride he encounters several other characters to include a young autistic boy name Zach and his mother. The bus is involved in a tragic crash where everyone on board dies.... or do they?

The Commons is a sort of in-between state of living, or a type of purgatory, if you will. Where life is defined by essence and the journey of the "dead" will determine their future and if this is the end of their journey of life. Paul is led by the last remaining Envoy to guide him and some unlikely friends while he faces an evil that is not readily apparent, but malicious none-the less.

My thoughts: The characters in this story are spectacular, and I even love the creation of the world of the Commons. You could really feel the passion that drove the characters in this story and feel their connections

What is lacking: I wanted more descriptions and building up of the world in my head. I had glimpses of the world that the author Michael Alan Peck has set forth, but I couldn't completely see if in my mind. I would have been able to connect more with the story if this was possible. The only other complaint I have is that there was a lot of minor "fluff" sections that either needed to be explained more or edited out. I completely get the data sections and the purpose of it, but I had a hard time trying to determine the actual layout and the visions associated with working in them. I would have liked to be able to understand the significance of this section more, because a lot of the setting up of the beginning of the fight comes into play during this time. I found myself going back and re-reading several sections, to try to connect the dots and see what i had missed. A better explanation of this part of the book would do wonders for the entire tone of the book. All in all, this is a good book, that could do with a bit of polish to really make it shine. I will continue on with the story and stand at a 3.5/5 star rating for me.

*I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for a fair and honest review through the read and review opportunity of FOR LOVE OF A BOOK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journeyman.

March 20, 2016 – Shelved
April 26, 2016 – Started Reading
April 26, 2016 –
10.0% "That escalated quickly haha"
April 27, 2016 –
35.0% "I had a little confusion on some of the data management system, not sure if that was intentional or if it just lost me"
April 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brittany thank you