Sezoni's Reviews > The Physically Fit Messiah: Wellness Wisdom Past and Present

The Physically Fit Messiah by Cal Samra

Mar 20, 2016

I found the Physically Fit Messiah interesting, inspiring, and fun to read! Reading a story about lifestyle choices for overall good health and a long life, can only lead to something that just feels right. Cal Samra is an octogenarian who plays tennis four times a week, eats a Mediterranean diet, and enjoys organic gardening.

The book is a compelling read about human behavior and habit as they relate to diet and health (i.e.; overeating, poorly eating, excessive drinking, smoking, physical inactivity, high sodium and processed food consumption, and the environment.) All of which that can wreak havoc on our health.

Samra collaborated with some big names in medical and religious fields to help him create this wholesome, spiritually centered story about clean living. He gives proven accounts of wellness in health care that dates as far back as early Greek Christian physicians; physicians then and now who encourage a healthy diet and exercise.

I enjoy the humor the author uses to enhance the story. I got a kick out of the 15 exercises to avoid. My only issue with the book was, there wasn't enough empirical data to support how genetics and natural causes beyond anyone's control play a part in our health. But it addressed other concerns in depth like man-made "agents of death" and their effect to our environment. A sigh of relief comes when the author stresses the importance of prayer, faith, love, and good relationships with Christ, family, friends and pets for illnesses medication can't heal.

If you pooh-pooh the wisdom of our elders and have little regard for history, this book may not be for you. If you believe you can garner motivation to live longer and at the same time promote in others a healthier lifestyle, this book is a gem for keeps! I definitely recommend this read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Physically Fit Messiah.

Finished Reading