Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Afterworlds

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld

bookshelves: box-sale-purchase, readproud

I was scared reading this one because it is my first Westerfeld book after the Uglies series and those literally changed my life, but I really liked this one! I liked that the two stories overlapped in some ways but were separate in others. It was a behemoth of a book though and I almost wonder if it was too long and that's why I didn't love it.

I think there was a lot of good in this one. I liked the inside look at the publishing world and how not everyone's story is the same and yet none of them are all that different. I liked that Darcy had a hard time balancing life, writing, being an adult, and everything else in between. However, I was actually not a fan of (view spoiler). I did like that she took the time to learn to be herself even though it meant royally screwing up sometimes. I do think she should have hired an accountant instead of relying on her sister for her budgeting and definitely gone for somewhere that had cheaper rent. But what do I know.

I also really liked Afterworlds, the novel inside the novel, and how everything that happened in Darcy's world had a direct impact on the novel she was writing. There were so many good parallels and probably many more that I missed. I am typically not a fan of paranormal romance novels, but I really liked this one. I would have read this as a full novel tbh. Instead of feeling hokey or uninspired to add in this novel, we got to see a bit more of how Darcy sees the world through the chapters in Lizzie's perspective. I thought that Lizzie's story was just as compelling as Darcy's, but I was much more invested in Lizzie.

I did, however, like that for both the relationships, the key was trust. And I think that is something a lot of YA novels forget about: you have to trust the people you love rather than just lust after them. Both Darcy and Lizzie had to learn to trust themselves and how others saw them. They also had to let other people make decisions that were right for them even if they weren't the easiest for them to swallow. And they both did so with maturity.

This is a really daunting novel. It is huge and has two novels inside of it, basically. But it was really interesting and I loved the overlap and parallels. I think it is what kept me going. I am definitely not as worried about reading Leviathan as I was before because Scott Westerfeld can write.

Read this as part of the #ReadProud Challenge.

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afterworlds.

March 20, 2016 – Shelved
March 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 20, 2016 – Shelved as: box-sale-purchase
May 26, 2016 – Shelved as: readproud
June 5, 2016 – Started Reading
June 5, 2016 –
3.0% "a female Jamie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
18.0% "!!!!"
June 5, 2016 –
22.0% "idk which story line I like better tbh"
June 5, 2016 –
25.0% "$3500 a month for rent is crazy. Her aunt should have talked her down tbh. Because she has NO furniture. Like if she already had stuff to make it a real home for herself it'd be one thing. And $17 a day? She is not thinking straight man."
June 5, 2016 –
37.0% "I don't typically like paranormal romance but I kinda love Lizzie's story? Also I love seeing how Darcy's story interacts with Lizzie's. She learns something from a writer and it's incorporated into Afterworlds."
June 5, 2016 –
40.0% "book!Jamie reminds me a lot of me. I like it."
June 5, 2016 –
42.0% "she didn't have a happy ending??? I WANT THIS BOOK EVEN MORE NOW."
June 5, 2016 –
48.0% "not following this budget is a terrible idea."
June 5, 2016 –
58.0% "this is the worst idea in the history of ideas."
June 5, 2016 –
61.0% "I think setting is the most important. If I can't see where this is happening, I don't care. I need to visualize the surroundings for everything else to fall into place."
June 5, 2016 –
84.0% "I don't want either story to end"
June 5, 2016 –
91.0% "I'm very excited to see how this ends but I also don't want ti to end, you feel me?"
June 5, 2016 – Finished Reading