Patricia's Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Apr 03, 2011

bookshelves: form-physical-copy, 2011, review-on-old-blog, listed_former_or_old_favourites, listed_favourites_updated, r_old-review
Read on June 22, 2011

Wonderfully written characters, exceptionally good and genuine rendetion of human relationships and paranormal elements that aren't too complex to annoy the reader, but used in the fresh, urban-fantasy-ish way that I adore.

The whole Darkest Power-series captivated me from page one on.

I'd like to point something out that makes me seriously fall for Kelley Armstrong. Authors tend to give their characters mental deceases or a traumatic childhood but then, later, make it unrealistic, unbelievable. In »The Summoning«, the heroine, Chloe, sees a ghost and freaks out. She is then forced to move to a group home full of troubled teenagers.

There are two things that Armstrong managed to write while many other authors didn't.

First: She did a good research. I'm not only bookblogging, but also have a blog that's about mental deceases. Because of that I'm in contact with many people who suffer from mental deceases and with therapists et cetera. So, it's probably understandable that I often want to skin people alive when they're biased about things or have no idea what they're actually talking about but still manage to judge others. Well, Armstrong really made a point with her books. Her characters have been told that they suffer from Shizophrenia, Pyromania, Antisocial personality disorder and maybe (never been named, but it sounded like that) bipolar disorder and dissociative personality disorder and the symptoms 'fit'.. However that's not the 'real' point, since many readers won't care about such things.

Two: The amazing thing is that unlike Vincent did in the first prequel of the Soul Screamers series, the reader isn't left with the impression that the heroine thinks a mental decease is something 'bad' or people with a bipolar disorder are crazy. Chloe's open minded. She doesn't like it, she doesn't believe it and she sure as hell hates that she might be shizophrenic. But she does not judge. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

And here we're actually in the middle of the beginning already. Chloe is a nice, rather quite girl. Her mom's dead and her father is a businessmen, so she's alone quite often. Her aunt's her closest relative and she has two friends in art school. She then has this 'Wha, gosh, ghost, aaaah'-moment and is diagnosed with Shizophrenia. Only that no, she isn't shizophrenic and in Lylehouse some things don't seem to be .. right.

She there meets several teens. Simon and Derek, who are (foster)siblings, Liz, her roommate, Tori, Liz's best friend and a total bitch and Rae, the girl who has a thing for fire (as the blurb says) and soon becomes the closest thing to a friend Chloe has in there.

The Summoning was sometimes a bit slow, which is the reason for the 'normal' 4 rating. Anyway, I enjoyed the read very much. Armstrong didn't need to fill the novel with semi-steamy make-out-scenes and I swear that almost every Twihard will still love it. ;b

Read, read, read!

I could still kill myself for waiting so long!

The Books

The Summoning
The Awakening
The Reckoning

Darkness Rising: (Spin-Off)

The Gathering
(The Calling, 2012)
(Untitled, 2012?)

There are three free short stories that I know of:

Dangerous
Divided
Disenchanted

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

Quotes Patricia Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Whatever it is," I said, "the point is moot because as long as I'm on these pills, I can't make contact to ask."
Derek ... snapped, "Then you need to stop taking the pills."
Love to. If I could. But after what happened last night, they're giving me urine tests now."
Ugh. That's harsh." Simon went quiet, then snapped his fingers.
Hey, I've got an idea. It's kinda gross, but what if you take the pills, crush them and mix them with your, you know, urine."
Derek stared at him.
What?"
You did pass chem last year, didn't you?"
Simon flipped him the finger. "Okay, genius, what's your idea?"
I'll think about it. ..."

***

Here," Derek whispered, pressing an empty Mason jar into my hand. He'd pulled me aside after class and we were now standing at the base of the boy's staircase. "Take this up to your room and hide it."
It's a ... jar."
He grunted, exasperated that I was so dense I failed to see the critical importance of hiding an empty Mason jar in my room.
It's for your urine."
My what?"
He rolled his eyes, a growl-like sound sliding through his teeth as
he leaned down, closer to my ear. "Urine. Pee. Whatever. For the testing."
I lifted the jar to eye level. "I think they'll give me something
smaller."
...
You took your meds today, right?" he whispered.
I nodded.
Then use this jar to save it."
Save . . . ?"
Your urine. If you give them some of today's tomorrow, it'll seem like you're still taking your meds."
You want me to . . . dole it out? Into specimen jars?"
Got a better idea?"
Um, no, but ..." I lifted the jar and stared into it.
Oh, for God's sake. Save your piss. Don't save your piss. It's all the same to me."
Simon peeked around the corner, brows lifted. "I was going to ask what you guys were doing, but hearing that, I think I'll pass.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Life experience. I can talk it up, vow to broaden my horizons, but I’m still limited to the experiences with my life.

How can a person understand an experience that lies completely outside her own? She can see it, feel it, imagine what it would be like to live it, but it’s no different from seeing a movie on a screen and saying, “Thank God that’s not me”.”

Kelley Armstrong
“That's what being crazy was, wasn't it? You thought you were fine. Everyone else knew better.”

04/17 marked as: read

Maria continue with the series. its gets better and better. :)

Patricia I already finished the whole series when I wrote the review. You're right - It's soooo good! *_*

Did you read The Gathering? I'm not sure if I want to start it right away, since there are two more books to come out.. But people've been telling me it's amazing as well. Hmm. :)

Maria uhm, i'm not sure if i want to read The Gathering, since it's not a continuation of The Darkest Powers series. and i don't think i like that story. :)

Patricia If I got it right, it kind of is. I mean, it's in the same world and I guess we're going to see Rae there.. And who knows if the others, too.

But yea, I fell in love with Chloe, Tori, Derek and Simon, so it's kind of weird not reading about them. Plus, goodbye Chloes POV. *sniff*

Kind of like with Blood Lines and the Vampire Academy-series. Or Dark Huntress, Dark Huntress World and Dark Prince.. x.x :D

Mimi Smith I read this trilogy and loved it. The characters are well done, the plot is interesting and there is no teenage drama, which many YA books suffer from. I read The Gathering, too, and though it was good, so far, I prefer the story of Chloe, Derek, Simon...Still, there are 2 more books, so I hope Kelley Armstrong makes me love them.

Patricia I wanted to start the Gathering right after I've finished the series, but I couldn't make me pick it up. I already have it here, but idk..

BUT I just finished Bitten and wtf, we meet Dereks dad there! o.o *stunned*

Did the book (The Gathering) end with a cliffhanger? I kind of want to read it now even more.. xD

Mimi Smith Yes, it did. But, when you think about it books in this series ended with a cliffhanger, too, it just wasn't painful because the series is over. Have you read all of Women in The Otherworld series, b/c if you have there is a book(or a mini series) Men In The Otherworld, which feature Clay, as he was growing up AND the initial relationship between him and Elena before the bite, among other things. There are also short stories about other male characters, as well, so you probably shouldn't read it until you were finished with the original series.

Patricia Yeah, I was actually complaining about that at first. I mean the cliffhanger. I wanted so badly to know what'd happen next, because it was so friggin open-ended, but since tI knew that there was "The Gathering" which might include answers to some things that haven't been answered in the Darkest Powers series, I was okay..

And I probably would've been okay with the open-ended .. ending, because as you've said, the series was over. - But in an ongoing series I can't stand the wait/cliffhangers from book 1 to 2. (The only exception might just be LOST. But seriously, what was that?)

No, I've finished Bitten yesterday (or the day before). I think I've heard of the Men In The Otherworld-mini-series but completely forgot about it, so: Thaaaank you! <3

Oh... Arg, yes, I guess it'd be better to wait then. Hrr. xD