Jennifer (bunnyreads)'s Reviews > The Demons We See

The Demons We See by Krista D. Ball

bookshelves: 2016, bingo-r-fantasy-2016, fantasy-adventure

So, this ended up being a great book. A quick moving story involving mages, slaves, and a society on the brink of war because of their antiquated religious beliefs.

The world building is on the light side and trusts that we are smart enough to keep up. Which is something I appreciate. I don’t need my hand held through every little detail, although there were a couple of instances where maybe a quick clasp would have been helpful.

I found the most interesting part of the world building was to do the side of how things like support programs are run, rather then how the world itself works, though we get a touch of that too. To me though, the daily running of refugee support and it’s bucket of problems, was fascinating and I liked that it touched on that aspect of care, and did it without drowning us in it…because let’s face it, spending money is only interesting for so long, unless it’s your own to spend.

The books strongest quality is the characters. The budding friendships, and growing trust of the main protags, and supporting characters were the driving point of this story. Allegra was a wonderfully strong and caring woman but with a soft vulnerable, and even scared at times center. Stanton…I’d marry at the very least. Strong, kind, supportive type- actually I did marry him. Lol.

Lex and Dodd the personal guard team, were great together and with everyone else. Everyone was a person unique to themselves. I even loved the ‘bad guy’ ex of Allegra’s, who wasn’t such a bad guy after all. I can’t say enough about the characters; they were all so full of life.

Also I don’t usually mention this in reviews but since it’s been mentioned in other reviews, I will add my two-cents about how NICE it is to read non-hetero characters, that are people first. Where every thought is not dictated by their sexuality, and it doesn’t feel like I am reading the equivalent of a FB pat on the back post (you know, where some idiot bought coffee for a homeless person and had to tell the world how great they were for being so generous. Ugh). These were characters that are part of their world. Not part of the world and I am gay/bi/trans. See the difference? I wish more people did.

My only real complaint (other than my dislike of being dropped into a scene in the opening of a book where there is a confrontation, which is not a complaint anyone can really take seriously), was maybe that I would have liked a few more of the minor threads tied-up, but I appreciate that while there is definitely more to the story, it didn’t leave us hanging wondering who would be back for the next book.

Calling it 4.5, but rounding up for not leaving me hanging meanly, in the end. Very much looking forward to the next in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demons We See.

March 19, 2016 – Shelved