Katie Hanna's Reviews > Bread Givers

Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska

Semi-autobiographical work by a Jewish-American female author, Anzia Yezierska. It's a great book, although quite sad in parts . . . but the ending is beautiful, and well worth all the struggle of the earlier chapters. (I often find myself thinking about it, in fact, even though it's been a good many months since I finished it.) I could really identify with Sara's struggle to get an education and become a teacher, because that's what I want to do myself (although of course I haven't had to work nearly as hard.) It's a fascinating story, and highly recommended for anyone interested in American immigration history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread Givers.

Quotes Katie Liked

Anzia Yezierska
“The stars in their infinite peace seemed to pour their healing light into me. I thought of captives in prison, the sick and the suffering from the beginning of time who had looked to these stars for strength. What was my little sorrow to the centuries of pain which those stars had watched? So near they seemed, so compassionate. My bitter hurt seemed to grow small and drop away. If I must go on alone, I should still have silence and the high stars to walk with me.”
Anzia Yezierska, Bread Givers