Julia's Reviews > Bread Givers

Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska

bookshelves: first-read-in-2016, jewish, new-york, womens-studies

This was written in 1925 so a reminder that feminism as analysis of the suppression of women (as distinct from the struggle for the vote) didn't just start in the 1960s and 1970s.

I found this on my bookshelf with no recollection of when or where I bought it and whether it was a recommendation or just something that caught my eye.

The first half of the story takes place when the main character, Sarah Smolinsky, is still a child or in her teens, and describes the control that her father had over her mother and sisters. As a Torah scholar, he expected to be supported instead of working for a living. Many of the decisions he made were bad ones and he never apologized.

The second half of the book is after Sarah leaves home. That was sketchier with more jumps and I didn't appreciate as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread Givers.

March 19, 2016 – Shelved
March 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 20, 2016 – Started Reading
March 20, 2016 –
page 30
10.1% "I found this on my bookshelf with a sticker from a used book sale, but no recollection of when or where I bought it. \n The story is about Jewish immigrants in NYC, but was written in 1925 rather than being a historical novel written well after (such as Rivington Street or The Midwife."
March 25, 2016 – Shelved as: first-read-in-2016