Lisa Vegan's Reviews > I Like Myself!

I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont

Apr 02, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed, readbooks-female-author-or-illust, readbooks-male-author-or-illust
Recommended to Lisa by: Crystal Marcos
Recommended for: children who like silly & amusing stories; readers who enjoy Dr. Seuss type rhymes

I can’t help but like this book. The rhyme is good: catchy and funny (with its accompanying illustrations) and its sentiments are well intentioned. And, it did remind me of a Dr. Seuss book, which is praise from me. And, the pictures are very colorful, large, vibrant, and would be bordering on garish but for their wonderful whimsical content. They’re a lot of fun.

The humor and sweetness of the rhyme surpassed, by a bit, my wariness of the message. Self esteem does not come from children receiving undeserved praise or telling them they like themselves. I’m afraid this picture book story’s aim is to convey the message that if children say “I like myself.” it means their sense of self esteem will rise to healthy levels. But, then I told myself to cool it and enjoy it for the amusing and joyous story that it is. Its silliness is likely to tickle children’s fancies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Like Myself!.

Lisa Vegan Abigail, A very good discussion to have too. Exactly!

Crystal Marcos I am glad you had fun with the book. I understand what you said as well about self esteem pertaining to this book.

Lisa Vegan I did like the book though, despite my cringing at times. ;-)

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl I feared it was going to offer only that simplistic message, but after the first pages of chants (mantras?) I appreciated the point that we are who we are determined to be, inside and out, despite what others may see.

Lisa Vegan Cheryl, I'm glad you appreciated it and I can see readers enjoying it. Sometimes I do wonder how much my mood at the time influences my opinion about books. I'm rarely willing to give books further tries though; there are just too many other books to read.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Oh I hear you, friend, on both counts! I'm sure there are books I'd have liked better if I'd read them at a different time in my own life. Oh well, better to just keep on going and enjoying them in our own way. :)

Lisa Vegan Yep. Exactly.