Maria Haskins's Reviews > Lost and Found

Lost and Found by Maria Savva

Maria Savva's new collection of short stories is a pleasure to read. She really has the knack of describing people in a way that makes you care and sympathize, even when the people are sometimes rather troubled and find themselves in complicated circumstances. There are glimpses of many characters and many lives in this collection: a horrible boss getting his comeuppance, a man trying to get out of stale relationship...and changing his mind...kind of, an innocent man in court, and many others. Each person and each tale coming to life in Maria Savva's gentle, but perceptive storyteller's eye.

My favourite short story in the collection was 'Boomerang'. This one really got under my skin with its single mother, pushed by exhaustion and regret to the point of doing something terrible. It's a tragic story, with a twist that kept twisting the knife just a little deeper as I read it. Another favourite is 'Left Unsaid', which takes a hard, and piercing look at several intertwining relationships between four characters. Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost and Found.

March 19, 2016 – Started Reading
March 19, 2016 – Shelved
March 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria Thank you so much for the thoughtful review, Maria! I'm so glad you enjoyed the collection. It's nice that Boomerang was your favourite as it's the only completely new story I wrote for the collection: nice to see I'm going in the right direction with my writing ;)

Maria Haskins Maria wrote: "Thank you so much for the thoughtful review, Maria! I'm so glad you enjoyed the collection. It's nice that Boomerang was your favourite as it's the only completely new story I wrote for the collect..."

Haha, yes. That story really got to me, and I loved how it turned around on what the sad heart of it was all about... Every story had something different to it: very glad you found them all!