Maria Haskins's Reviews > Mystical High

Mystical High by Lisette Brodey

Mystical High is a terrific read for both young adults, and old adults (like me). At first, the story seems firmly set in the real world, but bit by bit Lisette Brodey skilfully reveals the paranormal twist of the tale beneath and within that real world. Both parts of the story - the real and the paranormal - work very well, and they intertwine in such a way that they feed and enhance the drama of the other. The two main characters really pulled me into the story from the first chapter: Jesse and Jinxsy are funny, troubled, strong and sometimes weak, foolish, and sometimes wise - very much like real teenagers. It was a joy to follow them through the book.

I loved a lot of things about this book, but one thing I really appreciated was the complexity of the relationships, both the romantic relationships, and the relationships within families and between friends. There are shades of gray in everyone, and people's motives and reasons for what they do and who they love are multi-faceted and complex. No easy solutions or glossy romances here! Instead, the characters, the way they speak, and the problems they face feel as though they're taken from the real world (minus some spirits and ghosts, perhaps!).

Mystical High hooked me from the first chapter, and towards the end it had me racing to find out what the heck was happening, and what was going to happen, to all the people involved. Lisette Brodey's prose is well-crafted, often funny (she's got an ear for dialogue), and she keeps you interested through the twists and turns of the story. A highly recommended read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystical High.

March 19, 2016 – Started Reading