Joi's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

I'm not sure if I hate to love this, or love to hate it. Whichever it is, it was a easy fun read- with some pretty effed up topics and situations. But you if you know me, you know I love the dark subject matter. In high school my friends and I stumbled upon the 80's movie, and watched it purely based on how bad it was for fun. The book felt pretty similar.

This is a story of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The 'perfect' family is broken apart due to the fathers death, and the mother forces the two older kids, and their twin siblings to live in an attic until their disapproving grandfather kicks the bucket. The crazy-ass grandma gives them a written rule list of what they cannot do- and this somehow turns into an accidental challenge list for the oldest boy and girl to check things off on. It starts small- don't be in the bathroom at the same time, don't make a mess- then grows and grows to incest, forbidden love, and child abuse. Fun! Leading to my main question I kept thinking while reading this of....

"HOW IS THIS YOUNG ADULT!?". Yes, it reads like young adult and it's very simple. But the subject matter is pretty risque. Like this is making incest look cool. WHICH IT'S NOT! But it had me interested, and intrigued in how it continues. So eventually, I'll probably read the next installment.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.

March 19, 2016 – Shelved