Bonnie's Reviews > Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence

Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman

bookshelves: nonfiction

This is a book I read after seeing the movie Mean Girls, which is a fictionalization of this actual book, although it is a nonfiction book, not a novel. I soooo wish this book had been around when I was in school. It was a revelation to me and explained the grand majority of social interactions that happened to me back then. The language is easy to read and precise without being technical or psychoanalytic.

Good suggestions for getting out of bad situations -- bullying, gossiping, drinking parties, and so on. That sums up the book. I plan to read it with my girls when they get a bit older.

The movie is NOT true to the book in any way, shape, or form. Unfortunately, the movie glamourizes the very behaviors the book teaches you to avoid. At the end of the movie, a teenager will remember only that Jell-O shots and conveniently out-of-town parents are a necessity for any teen party. So, if you want to start a meaningful dialogue with your daughter, skip the movie and read the book together, instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Bees and Wannabes.

Started Reading
September 1, 2006 – Finished Reading
February 19, 2008 – Shelved
February 19, 2008 – Shelved as: nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Cynthia Great and apt review! I wish it had been around when I was in middle school! :-)