NOTYEP NIKA's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

U 50x66

Frankenstein Review

In all of time, the name Frankenstein has been pinned on a character with a scary appearance and a heartless behavior, but what if a so called “monster” is really just scared and has a heart of gold? The classic novel Frankenstein by Mary Shelley supports this opinion. The novel is very adventurous and is packed with emotion and symbolism. It was originally written by Shelley at the young age of nineteen, and was intended as a scary story.
The story begins when captain Robert Walton discovers a man at sea. The man, Victor Frankenstein, explains what is happening and informs Walton of the troubles and hardships he has gone through in his recent years of experimentation. He confides in Walton with his stories and problems because he has already lost everyone who has been there for him. Frankenstein also makes it clear that it is his fault that everyone in his life is gone. Victor tells Walton of his life growing up and his experiences in college. While at college, Victor studied human anatomy. After progressing in this course of study, he creates an idea. He wants to create a human being out of cadavers. Victor gathers many body parts, assembles them together, and watches his creation rise to life. This being that has been created is the Monster of the story. The creature escapes from Victor and is the cause of many tragic events that occur because of his hideous and frightening appearance.
I personally enjoyed this novel. It is packed with numerous adventurous and emotional situations. In one instance, the book creates an adventure of the Monster looking for shelter when he stumbles on a family living in a rural area. The Monster studies the family for a long period of time, learning to read, write, and talk, and eventually feels like he is part of the family. It can be exciting at one moment, and in the next moment, you are fighting off tears. The novel is full of symbolism and really drives home the point that “you can’t judge a book by its cover.” The only negative characteristic of the novel is that it is filled with “plot holes.” In certain situations, you never know how the Monster arrives instantly in a certain place to spy on Victor. I found myself stopping to ponder over events like these throughout the entire story. Other than plot holes, I enjoyed reading this novel, and I will enjoy reading it over and over. I would recommend this read to anyone of any age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

Finished Reading