C.G. Drews's Reviews > Our Dark Duet

Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

Jun 21, 2017

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2017, paranormal, read-2017, young-adult

THIS BOOK LIVES TO TORTURE US. THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY. No wait. I also want to say: it was absolutely gorgeously darkly bloodily brilliant and I'm so so pleased. Also devastated. ALSO PLEASED. Part of me knew how it'd end, though, and I was right and I'm currently c r y i n g ... but it was good. It was a good and perfect book.

I don't want calm feelings anyway.

I also don't want this to be over because August and Kate are two very very very precious characters to me. And everything about this series somehow caught my heart. I'm kind of crumbling into a gasping hole of appreciation for it. I LOVE IT. I DO.

It's too hard to review so I'll just give you a nice list:

SMOL THINGS I LOVED:
• it is so so so entirely bloody and dark
• SUPER DARK BOOK IS SUPER DARK
• it reminds me of Batman Begins, if Gotham was Verity
• August is the sweetest most tortured monster of ever and my heart bleeds for him
• Kate is so powerful and sharp and wondrous and i am so pleased with how she developed in this book (view spoiler)
• the monsters are wickedly dark
• and complex
• everything about the writing was gorgeous and visual and sensory and every word was perfectly chosen
• I loved the addition of bits of verse in this one!! It just made the story so much richer and bursting with feeling
• AUGUST <3 <3 <3
• there are battles and scars and death and darkness and honestly this duology is just magnificent and I love how it asks questions about sinners and right vs wrong and what truly makes a monster

AN ABSOLUTELY DARKLY INCREDIBLE TALE. I CAN'T EVEN WITH MY LOVE FOR IT. EVERY WORD WAS PERFECT. I'M OFFICIALLY A MESS. THAT ENDING THOUGH. These characters. This story. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Dark Duet.

March 18, 2016 – Shelved
March 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 20, 2017 – Started Reading
June 20, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Me: I can't WAIT to read this!!
Me: I'll be fiiiiiine.
Narrator: But in fact she would not be fine and was lying to herself."
June 21, 2017 –
page 281
55.1% "The real horror story here is the fact there's NO INTERNET OR WIFI IN VERITY. No wonder everyone is dying tbh."
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: best-of-2017
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: paranormal
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ I thought it was like Gotham too! Especially since I'm watching that series.

C.G. Drews It's super cool right?! I always thought Gotham was fascinating!

message 3: by Riddhi (new) - added it

Riddhi Mazumder Is this the final book in the series?

C.G. Drews @Riddhi: Yep, it's just a duology!

Zenki the Hermit Beautiful review!

C.G. Drews Thank you!