Patrick Gibson's Reviews > Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard  Adams

Apr 02, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary-literature

I think this book has been relegated to sixth grade reading. This may be where it belongs – but I remember when it was a massive best seller and everyone ‘had’ to read it.

I didn’t.

Couldn’t stand the thought of rabbits as metaphor.

Why now? The fifty cent bin, of course!

So, yes, it’s about a warren of talking bunnies. I guess, chances are if you can't get past the basic idea that the main characters are rabbits and communicate with one another, then maybe fantasy and all its charms are lost on you. This isn't a book for those without imagination, and this isn't a book for children or those with a weak stomach. I was surprised by the level of violence.

What you SHOULD expect is a thinly disguised political commentary. ‘The book is about freedom, about forming a little home, or country, of your own, and of living by your own ethical standards. It’s also about standing up to tyranny and evil. Heck, I forgot to mention, it’s a pretty rousing bit of adventure with a lot of suspense and some pretty good action. Take the rabbits out and put humans in, and you've got a good Cold War thriller or Revolutionary War story. Leave the bunnies in and you've got a pretty good work of fantasy that also delivers an excellent commentary on human nature.
But… I am not one of those who claim ‘this book changed my life.’ It didn’t.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.

Started Reading