sreeja (hiatus)'s Reviews > Since You've Been Gone

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

bookshelves: read-in-2016

This book was just made of sunshine and butterflies and unicorns. It has been a while since I’ve read something so fluffy and heart-warming.
 photo tumblr_mu83ibwUFM1sh1bozo1_500_zpsw4ziabno.gif

if this girl ever wrote a book, this would be it

Although this book gave me serious paper towns vibes.
I mean seriously;
“perfect” girl: check
who also happens to be the missing (best) friend: check
adventure to find her: check
mc finding oneself along the way: check
road trip: check

FEATURING
Sloane; AKA (Margo)
 photo tumblr_nmayggb17S1rnzsr9o1_500_zpsozcl2onj.gif
pretty much a manic pixie dream girl, everyone is in love with her and how fun she is, really adventurous (alert, alert: margo)

Notice how I start with Sloane instead of Emily (the main character) well, that’s because even if Sloane isn’t present for pretty much the entire book; all Emily can do is think of her. Granted, she is her best friend, but towards the beginning I felt like Emily was the only one who was putting in any effort into their friendship at all, and it made me feel super bad for her.
So well, one day Sloane decides to leave without anything but a list for her friend to complete. That made for an interesting plot, but it also made Sloane look incredibly shallow and selfish. Especially since, Emily considered her to be her best friend and he world was pretty much falling apart in the beginning.
Throughout the flashbacks that Emily had of their time together all that I could really notice was how critical she was as a friend; calling Emily out whenever she didn’t feel comfortable to do something that Sloane wanted to. Also the fact that she gave her then boyfriend, Sam more importance than her friend was a huge turn off for me personally. Granted, she does end up redeeming herself in the end she was not one of my favourites.

Emily; the girl next door type who goes through change and finds herself
 photo tumblr_miir6hTv5i1ro1dg5o1_500_zpsaicbvyyo.gif
loyal, where she started off as a shy girl she managed to confront her fears and become a more confident person by the end

Emily as a character honestly felt clichéd at the start of the book. She was literally the archetype of the girl next door, who was shy when talking to guys and going to parties. Who also happened to be nervous while making conversation with people. Her character managed to developed a lot and managed to become a whole new person by the end of the book.
I felt like her transformation was really genuine and it was great to follow her as she stepped out of her comfort zones. Also it was great to see her come out of her shell and not be dependent on her best friend and instead become a person that could make her own decisions and choices and relations.
I felt soooo proud of her by the end of the book for finally confronting her fears and becoming a better person.

Frank Porter; the overachiever
 photo c3c8d206f71c6c1c1230cd037041cfac_zpsnp8wv8u9.gif
witty, charismatic, a super good leader and friend

Frank as a friend and a character was such an honest and sweet guy. Since the first time that we are introduced to him I found his character to be so authentic and caring. The fact that he played a huge role in Emily finishing her list just makes me so happy. He was such a supportive friend who made sure that he was there with Emily every step of the way and made sure that she wasn’t getting herself into something that she didn’t want.
Also he is so funny and geeky he just won me over like *snaps finger* that.

Honourable mentions also goes to Collins for being such an adorable comic relief, with his own interesting story arc. Also to Beckett; Emily’s brother for being a hyper ninja.

Overall you need to read this book to see how amazing it really is, because despite its flaws it honestly is such a great and heartwarming read.

PS there are playlists in this book and its so cute

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Since You've Been Gone.

March 17, 2016 – Shelved
November 28, 2016 – Started Reading
November 30, 2016 –
page 196
43.65% " ahhh this book is so cute *dreamy sigh!! (ps sloane is literally margo)\n  photo giphy_zpses5rzhle.gif "
December 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Sharon Great review! I totally agree! AGH this book was reeeeally good.

sreeja (hiatus) Sharon wrote: "Great review! I totally agree! AGH this book was reeeeally good."
Thanks!! ikr this was such a fun book :D

Candlewick Books Wow, this sounds amazing ❤️

Crystal Loved this bookkk

sreeja (hiatus) DearWilderness wrote: "Wow, this sounds amazing ❤️"

it really is!! :)

sreeja (hiatus) Crystal wrote: "Loved this bookkk"
so did i :D

sreeja (hiatus) Maddie wrote: "Beautifully written review xx"