Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > The Mezzotint

The Mezzotint by M.R. James

Apr 02, 2011

bookshelves: tales-to-chill-your-blood, classic-horror, edwardian, favorites, favorite-or-autobuy-author, unusual-haunting, ghost, online-read, short-story, 2011-reading
Recommended for: Fans of classic horror
Read on April 01, 2011

How does he do it? How does Mr. James write such fantastic tales of terror? This story starts so benignly, I had this false sense of security. I was fooled but good. The conversational tone, and the dry, academic characters had me wondering where this story was going. Soon, I came to realize exactly what was going on. Our narrator collects pictures of homes. He gets a lead on a mezzotint (a metal engraving with a great deal of distinction between shades of light and dark) that he considers rather substandard for the two guineas the dealer is asking for. Only this is a special picture. It changes, you see. As the narrator becomes aware that this photo has some unlikely qualities, the unease builds. The narrator asks others to look at the picture, and they see something changing as well. What is one to think of this mezzotint?

It’s amazing that this story can be so eerie and disarming, even without knowing exactly what the nature of the mezzotint’s ability is. Is this a ghost story? Dark fantasy? What’s the nature of the figure in the picture? Mr. James doesn’t reveal that. It doesn’t matter. The story has served its purpose. The mood, setting, and plot deliver one heck of a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mezzotint.

Mike (the Paladin) I don't know that I found this terrifying, but I really liked it. I'd call it "uncanny" and unsettling. Whatever you call it, I do like it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Terror is in the eye of the beholder, is it not? To me there is a subtle terror, which is MR James' trademark, IMHO. I'm glad you liked it, Mike.

Mike (the Paladin) It's the second story in Casting the Runes and one of the best..it is creepy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Haven't read that one yet. Looking forward to it.

Mike (the Paladin) I have a collection named after that story (Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories. It's a story collection and Mezzotint is the second story in it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I probably have the one in one of my collections somewhere.