Jennifer Lane's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

bookshelves: dystopian, favorites, dysfunctional-family-fun, male-pov, new-adult, thriller
Read 2 times. Last read April 29, 2018 to April 30, 2018.

I Could Crush a Ms Pacman Quest

What an enthralling read! It's been a while since I finished a book in one day, but this story was so fascinating and suspenseful that I just had to get to the end. I live in Columbus, Ohio--the setting of the story. Who would expect this little city to be the new Silicon Valley of the dystopian future?

In the 2040s, 18-year-old Wade attends online high school but spends most of his time in a virtual world playing video games and searching for clues to solve the world's largest Dungeons and Dragons quest. Billionaire techie James Halliday has died, leaving his impressive estate to the individual who finds his hidden Easter Egg. After growing up in poverty and trauma, Wade dreams of being the one to find it, but his chances are slim.

Halliday was a huge fan of 1980's pop culture, so finding the egg entails knowing everything about Atari, Yes, War Games, The Goonies, and Oingo Boingo among many other obscure references. Wade and gamer geeks Aech and Artemis have done so much research that it's like they've written five dissertations on the 1980s. But no doubt the quests will challenge them to their limits.

I loved the wild inventiveness, the fight between good and evil, and the sweet romance between Wade and Artemis. My favorite virtual reality quest was plopping Wade into the movie, War Games. To succeed, he had to voice the lines for Matthew Broderick's character.

I didn't know it at the time, but I'd just become the first person to play an entirely new type of videogame. The company quickly patented the idea and began to buy up the rights to old movies and TV shows and convert them into immersive interactive games that they dubbed Flicksyncs.

What a cool idea! Which movies would you like to star in as a virtual character? My choices would include Titanic, Cutting Edge, Top Gun, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

The stakes skyrocket when an evil corporation threatens the lives of Wade and his friends in order to win the game. I totally cheered for Wade.

I hear the movie is pretty good and I look forward to watching it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Ernest Cline
“I created the OASIS because I never felt at home in the real world. I didn't know how to connect with the people there. I was afraid, for all of my life, right up until I knew it was ending. That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it's also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real.”

Ernest Cline
“For a bunch of hairless apes, we've actually managed to invent some pretty incredible things.”

Ernest Cline
“As we continued to talk, going through the motions of getting to know each other, I realized that we already did know each other, as well as any two people could. We’d known each other for years, in the most intimate way possible. We’d connected on a purely mental level. I understood her, trusted her, and loved her as a dear friend. None of that had changed, or could be changed by anything as inconsequential as her gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation.”

Ernest Cline
“Overall, she seemed to be going for a sort of mid-’80s postapocalyptic cyberpunk girl-next-door look. And it was working for me, in a big way. In a word: hot.”

Finished Reading
March 17, 2016 – Shelved
March 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 29, 2018 – Started Reading
April 29, 2018 –
page 70
18.72% "What a cool concept."
April 29, 2018 –
April 30, 2018 – Shelved as: male-pov
April 30, 2018 – Shelved as: new-adult
April 30, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller
April 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Irene Liked your review! I had fun reading this too and the movie was well done. War Games didn’t make it in the movie...they used a different movie and it's a pretty funny substitution...I won’t spoil!

Jennifer Lane Irene, I saw the movie less than 24 hours after finishing the book, and that was a mistake. I get that screenwriters need to condense or skip some elements to make the movie work, but I loved the book so much that I didn't understand why so many changes occurred in the movie. What's wrong with using War Games? I'm more familiar with that movie than with the one chosen (and the themes of War Games are a better fit for the novel as a whole) so I wasn't thrilled with that change. But the movie was still fun.