YAYOMG's Reviews > The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society

The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society by Janet Sumner Johnson

Recommended to YAYOMG by: NetGalley
Recommended for: Any kid or kid at heart

I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

As a kid, I was the only girl on a street full of boys. I was the Annie, and my Jason was a boy named Timmy. We spent day in and day out together, going on neighborhood adventures. Riding our bikes to places we weren't supposed to. Eating blueberries off the bush in my yard every summer. I was the one who moved away, and when I did, we spent hours sitting on the swing set in my backyard trying to figure out how to prevent it from happening. This book hit so close to home, and I just haven't been able to stop thinking about it because of that. Reading this book as an adult is definitely a warm and fuzzy nostalgia-fest.

For kids, it's a fun best-friend adventure. Kids will see themselves and their BFF in Annie and Jason. They'll know exactly what it feels like to do anything, even if extreme and impossible, to try and stop their best friend from moving away. They'll wish they had a PB&J Society of their own. The very first PB&J burial scene where they list off the rules had me cracking up. It was just so cute and clever. I hope this book inspires thousands of chapters of the PB&J Society all around the world.

Janet Sumner Johnson does such a fantastic job of making this book really fun from start to finish. There's never a dull moment and you always find yourself rooting tirelessly for these kids no matter what wacky situations they find themselves in. It’s really well written, it’s clearly a book for kids, but it doesn’t talk down to them at all. The description of the feeling of getting to go to McDonald’s as a 10 year old was so spot on, it made me long for the days when getting a Happy Meal was still one of the best things that could possibly happen to you.

Annie is such a fantastic character. She’s a die-hard optimist who never gives up, no matter how many things go wrong (and they do. A lot). She always has the best intentions, even when that usually turns out to be her biggest flaw. She’s smart and spunky and loyal and sweet. She’s exactly the kind of person you want as a BFF.

This book has it all - besties, mystery, adventure, pirates, and a whole ton of PB&Js. It completely captures the spirit of what it’s like to be a 10 year old kid, and it’s an absolute must-read for kids of all ages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society.

Finished Reading