C.G. Drews's Reviews > Satellite

Satellite by Nick Lake

bookshelves: sci-fi, read-2018, ya-male-narrators, ya-without-romance

Okay I absolutely loved how this read like a quietly soft contemporary but in space. It's the perfect collision of sci-fi vs contemporary with a little dystopian dashed in as well. I mean YEAH you probably have to suspend disbelief, but also as someone who knows a pot of squash about space ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I had 50% a good time and 50% had no idea what the astronauts were saying.

Also it has unique formatting! It has no capital letters and it uses text-speech, so it's basically: "i c u spinning around in 0 g in space." That style? At first I was like grit-teeth-get-through-this...but then I just really liked it! It flowed and it just felt like LEO. (My only remaining thing is, I felt the text-speech for some reason made him feel really young? To me he felt like 13 lmao.)

So Leo? I LOVED LEO. He is a soft space boy, kind of a genius, and like the kid has grown up in a space shuttle. He's never never felt gravity. He likes science and he's very intense but doesn't talk much. His only companions ever have been a few adult astronauts and Libra and Orion who were also born in space. They are TIGHT it's very cute (but I don't feel like we really ever knew the twins?) And Leo is like super adorably fond of his grandpa (who he's not met yet) and his mum is like a GLACIER UGH. But he was sweet! And clever! And wanted so so much and I felt that want on all the pages. Also look at this soft cinnamon son who is unapologetically gay. I love this!! I wish I could pick up more books and the characters would be queer just as often as they'd be offhandedly straight. (Tho I'd consider it to not have romance tbh. But Leo was a LITTLE distracted, by, like, not dying.)

Although um I do have to confess.... The astronaut and science parts were TOTALLY lost on me (I am just not tech savvy?) and it was very very slow.

But overall?! I'd wanted to read this forever and I'm really glad I finally got to! I loved Leo and how soft and contemplative he was. And like SPACE. And kids born in space! And conspiracy theories! And lies! And secrets! I was a little stressed but like thIS IS GOOD.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Satellite.

March 17, 2016 – Shelved
March 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 24, 2018 – Started Reading
October 24, 2018 –
page 100
21.51% "I love Leo but I honestly have NO IDEA what the frick anyone is saying with all the space talk 😂😂"
October 25, 2018 –
page 217
46.67% "Book: Nothing bad is going to happen...
Me: oh good!! my space children are so precious!!
Book: ....yet