Hilary's Reviews > Betsy-Tacy

Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace

bookshelves: female-author-or-illustrator, friendship

We loved this story. Two young friends meet just as they are about to start school. Apart from the absence of cars and the fact that however rural your home might be 5 yr olds don't go off alone together these days, much of this book could have been in present time. Imaginative play, family life, happiness, sadness and the beauty of the passing seasons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betsy-Tacy.

March 17, 2016 – Shelved
March 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 5, 2016 – Started Reading
July 7, 2016 –
page 39
27.08% "The Betsy -Tacy books look like they are really popular in the US, I have never heard of them before noticing them on my US goodreads friends lists. At first I thought them a US version of Milly Molly Mandy, but after reading a few chapters I realise they are so much better (and I love Milly Molly Mandy) Thank you so much to all my goodread friends from America."
July 11, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 5, 2018 – Shelved as: female-author-or-illustrator
May 5, 2018 – Shelved as: friendship

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Linden My favorite children's series ever. Set in my home state of Minnesota and Betsy' (Maud's) house is now a museum. I read these books many times and never tired of them. So much better because they are based on real people and places. Hope you like the first one enough to continue reading the series!

Hilary We are really enjoying it. Have you been to the museum and was the house like you imagined?

Linden Hilary wrote: "We are really enjoying it. Have you been to the museum and was the house like you imagined?"I went to the museum many years ago when it was quite new. I think it was still a work in progress. I remember being fascinated by all the personal objects that belonged to Maud as well as all the photographs. I should go again and see what it's like now. It's a few hours drive away.

Lisa Vegan The next 3 books take place when they are 7, 10, and (a young) 12.

You'll love them, Hilary.

They're very autobiographical. I haven't finished the entire series/companion books but I've read 6 so far, I think. They're excellent.

Hilary This book was lovely, so enjoyed reading about their day to day lives, so glad there's more. I'm really suprised I haven't come across them in England.

It's interesting when books follow characters through their lives.

Lisa Vegan Yes.

I'm always amazed that England and the United States don't share nearly 100% of books. There are so many English, Canadian, etc. other countries' books that can't be found in the U.S.

I'm glad you've found the Betsy-Tacy books. They're wonderful.

Hilary There are so many books we would never have read if I didn't have US goodreads friends!

What we also loved about this book was the way it included simple chilhood pleasures like having a picnic, building a den, dressing up, making paper dolls, climbing trees etc. Spending time outdoors and making your own games are really important for children I think.

Lisa Vegan Hilary,

Ditto for me and UK & Canadian & Australian books and GR friends!

You will love the next 3 books and I'm sure that your daughter will too.