Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾'s Reviews > Quinn

Quinn by J.C. Cliff

it was ok

2.5 Stars

Once again, I find myself to be the black sheep and not liking a book most of my friends did. Le sigh. I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with me here, but alas, it is what it is. I know I tend to be a picky reader, so before I get to my review, please understand that just because I felt this way about this book, doesn't mean you will. Some of the things that bother me, may not bother you, so I suggest you leave your judgement till you read the book.

There are a few things that are guaranteed to ruin my enjoyment of a book no matter what:
1. Purple prose/cheesy phrasing
2. TSTL heroines
3. Insta-anything
4. cliche situations

Unfortunately for me, this book covered all those bases. Sometimes if there's enough meat to the story I can overlook some of those things, but that wasn't the case for me here

So here we have Quinn; bad-ass alpha, former military that sometimes does things for the mafia and doesn't do commitment. Quinn gets sent on a mission to protect the daughter of a man he owes a favor to, so he unwillingly agrees to find and protect the pregnant mafia princess that's on the run and wanted for murder. Sounds interesting, right? I thought so too. Unfortunately badass Quinn thinks things like this...
But the moment our lips had touched, I felt our souls connect on a very deep, emotional level.

Ok, Ok, this is only 33% into the story, I can handle it...

The said mafia princess is not quite what she seems. Unfortunately there's not much to her for me to even remotely connect to her. Here's a woman that's on the run for her life, she's on a run in the wilderness, forced to hike and camp; things she's never done before. Oh but guess what she doesn't forget to pack? Her vibrator.

Right.

But that's neither here nor there.

Now here comes this stranger, that helps you out because you don't know what you're doing and offers to protect you, and what do you do? Offer him your explicit trust, of course. I mean, why not, right? He seems nice enough and he has an adorable dog.

He also says things like this...
I want to kiss you all over, and taste you from your lips to your silky sex...
Would you like that, Angel?"

Silky sex? Who even says that? Men that want to pleasure said silky sex with their iron hard meat sword?

I really tried to love this book, truly. The set up sounded great and it had all the ingredients for a fantastic read. But between their almost instantaneous connection and the ridiculously cheesy dialogue at times, I found my interest quickly waning...
She wraps her hand around my shaft to firmly stroke my length as if she's milking me...

Milking you? Who even thinks that during a hand job? And what person internally refers to her anatomy as her "sex"?
Where'd you go?"
Where'd I go? To Drool-land. Back to that first morning when I could feel your fingers deep inside my slick sex.

I can understand this if I was reading a contemporary romance. But let's be real, this is an erotic romance. There are plenty of times where both the c and p words are used. So why is the flowery variety needed then?

Between the cliche of bad guys arriving and announcing their entire plan, detail by detail, because they think no one is looking and the instantaneous connection between two people that should be the most mistrustful of anyone, I found myself starting to nitpick pretty bad.
I'm only speechless because I never thought I'd be worthy of someone like you."
...
"Is my steel dick not evidence enough?
...
"So wet already. You ready for my big cock, Angel?"
"Oh, God," I groan.
"Do I make you feel things you've never felt before?"
"I've never felt like this before...ever."
"Mmm...you don't even know half the skills I possess."

All of this is completed with a cliffhanger that felt more like a chapter ending abruptly in the middle than anything else. Am I curious enough to continue with this story? I honestly don't know. I am but I'm not. I think I'll marinade on that decision for the time being.

There's so many that loved this book, and perhaps this was a case of wrong timing and me being overly picky, but be that is it may, sometimes a book works for you and sometimes it doesn't. I encourage you to read it and judge for yourself. Who knows? You just may end up loving it ;)

And I'll just be here...

Find me on:
Follow me on facebook Follow Me on Twitter blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quinn.

March 16, 2016 – Shelved
March 16, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-to-review
March 31, 2016 – Started Reading
April 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 346 (346 new)

FMABookReviews But that cover, tho! ;-) Great review... I still can't get over taking the vibrator while on the run... hmm lmao

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather C I've been in a funk, too. At least you know you aren't alone! Great honest review!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ FMABookReviews wrote: "But that cover, tho! ;-) Great review... I still can't get over taking the vibrator while on the run... hmm lmao"

The cover was so hot! This had such potential too. Sucks being so picky :(

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Heather wrote: "I've been in a funk, too. At least you know you aren't alone! Great honest review!"

Oh I definitely feel your pain. This is my 3rd 2 star in a week. I'm about ready to rip my hair out :(

message 5: by Maria Rose (new)

Maria Rose Sounds like you need to do a genre switch up

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Maria Rose wrote: "Sounds like you need to do a genre switch up"

Bah. I don't even know what I need. Maybe some PNR will do the trick

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen This book lost me when you mentioned silky sex. Ummmm...no. Also, a man's junk and anything that references shit done to farm animals should probably stay the hell away from each other. It's times like these I'm glad you read this crap so I don't have to. Awesome and honest review, woman!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen BTW, not just you. I'm in a super book funk, too. Started stopped at least 10 books already this week :/

message 9: by Maria Rose (new)

Maria Rose Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ wrote: "Maria Rose wrote: "Sounds like you need to do a genre switch up"

Bah. I don't even know what I need. Maybe some PNR will do the trick"

I just requested Wicked Burn (the next one in Rebecca Zanetti's Realm Enforcers series on NetGalley....

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Maria Rose wrote: "Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ wrote: "Maria Rose wrote: "Sounds like you need to do a genre switch up"

Bah. I don't even know what I need. Maybe some PNR will do the trick"

I just requested Wicked ..."

I saw that one! But I haven't read the rest of the series yet tho. Think I can read out of order?

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Jen wrote: "This book lost me when you mentioned silky sex. Ummmm...no. Also, a man's junk and anything that references shit done to farm animals should probably stay the hell away from each other. It's times ..."

I understand using it as a descriptive, but referring to it as that out loud? Yeah....no. LOL! Thanks, woman! I seem to be in a bad funk lately :(

message 12: by Aisling Zena (new) - added it

Aisling Zena That sounded sooo cheesy! Fab honest review Lana! I hope your next one is more substantial. :)

message 13: by Wendy'sThoughts (new)

Wendy'sThoughts With the vibe... preggers and on the run??? trifecta of easy silly but then to have the quotes.... to quote You... Le Sigh
terrific review xoxoxox

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Aisling Zena wrote: "That sounded sooo cheesy! Fab honest review Lana! I hope your next one is more substantial. :)"

Ugh. I couldn't get past a lot of the stuff in this book. I tried too, dammit! Thanks, Aisling! ;)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Wendy'sThoughts wrote: "With the vibe... preggers and on the run??? trifecta of easy silly but then to have the quotes.... to quote You... Le Sigh
terrific review xoxoxox"

It was all just too much. LOL! Thanks, Wendy! xx

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Great review babe :) hope your next book is better :))

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Oh no, I have to read this! Great review, hun!

message 18: by Pattrycia (new)

Pattrycia Fantastic hilarious review Lana! I think reading your review is more of an entertainment than reading the book itself ❤️❤️❤️

message 19: by Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth (last edited Apr 06, 2016 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Seriously...why don't you pack your vibrator when you're on the run???? I do that all the time, because, you know, a girl's gotta be prepared.

(view spoiler)

Fab and hilarious review <3

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review sweetie :)

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Can't. Breathe. I'm laughing so hard over here. Nope not reading this one lmao great review girl!

message 22: by Judith (new)

Judith Brilliant review and great quotes.It sounds so cheesy,definitely wouldn't be for me.Hope your next one's better,sweetheart,xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤ wrote: "Great review babe :) hope your next book is better :))"

Thank you, honey!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Beverly wrote: "Oh no, I have to read this! Great review, hun!"

Hopefully you'll end up enjoying it more than I did <3

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Pattrycia wrote: "Fantastic hilarious review Lana! I think reading your review is more of an entertainment than reading the book itself ❤️❤️❤️"

LOL! Thank you, doll! ;)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Astrid wrote: "Seriously...why don't you pack your vibrator when you're on the run???? I do that all the time, because, you know, a girl's gotta be prepared.

LMFAO!!! Woman! OMG! I just spat my coffee all over my desk laughing! AHAHAHA!

Fab and hilarious review <3"

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Jessica's wrote: "Great review sweetie :)"

Thanks, honey!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Can't. Breathe. I'm laughing so hard over here. Nope not reading this one lmao great review girl!"

It was the cow gif, wasn't it? LOL

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Judith wrote: "Brilliant review and great quotes.It sounds so cheesy,definitely wouldn't be for me.Hope your next one's better,sweetheart,xx"

I certainly found it to be verra cheesy. But I tend to be pickier than most LOL! Thanks, hon!

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle Bwahaha great review Lana!! Loved the gif :p

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Elle wrote: "Bwahaha great review Lana!! Loved the gif :p"

Thanks, Elle! ;)

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Damn shame something better isn't under that cover....because that cover is a visual orgasm! Great review, hooker!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A*** wrote: "Damn shame something better isn't under that cover....because that cover is a visual orgasm! Great review, hooker!"

GAH! That cover was delicious! So bummed :(

message 34: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Rossi Seriously? This book was awesome and Quinn 2 was even better. JC Cliff is my favorite author because he books are so. Unique. I'm sorry you didn't like the book but I don't think two stars is an accurate rating.

message 35: by K.S. (new)

K.S. Rochell This is a great book and series I understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea but lets remember it's fiction.

Kelly Freeman If you don't like the 4 points you stated in your review ... Maybe you should stick to non-fiction ?!?

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Andrea wrote: "Seriously? This book was awesome and Quinn 2 was even better. JC Cliff is my favorite author because he books are so. Unique. I'm sorry you didn't like the book but I don't think two stars is an ac..."

Andrea, I'm happy you loved this book. However, my rating is simply my opinion and reflection of my thoughts. It's how I felt about the book and I even stated in my review that it in now way means that others will feel the same and encourage others to give it a shot.

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Keeana ~bookalicious babes blog wrote: "This is a great book and series I understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea but lets remember it's fiction."

So what does that mean? That because it's fiction I should overlook the things that bother me? We all have our tastes when it comes to books, right? I love fiction and I love romance, and I certainly read enough of it to know when something works for me or not. Here, sadly, it didn't.

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Kelly wrote: "If you don't like the 4 points you stated in your review ... Maybe you should stick to non-fiction ?!?"

Wow. Interesting. How do you figure? Because non-fiction will NOT have purple prose, frustrating heroines, insta-lust/love, and cliche situations?

message 40: by Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth (last edited Apr 12, 2016 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Holy...seriously when did it become cool that other people's opinions don't count? Must have missed the memo.

I wish people would stop trolling other people's reviews and just agree to disagree.

Christie«SHBBblogger» Milking me...Noooo! That is one of my pet peeves. I HATE that phrase. It needs to be banished forever, I'll start a petition right now. Awesome review, Lana! xx

Arabella ~♡AB♡~ Fabulous review! A vibrator, seriously??

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Astrid wrote: "Holy...seriously when did it become cool that other people's opinions don't count? Must have missed the memo."

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Clearly people have loved this book, while I didn't. They're entitled to their opinion same as me.

The difference is, I wouldn't go on their review and tell them their opinion is wrong and proceed to condescend why their opinion is wrong. That's all.

message 45: by Geri Reads (last edited Apr 12, 2016 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Geri Reads Woman, you know I started this and I have to put it down because I could not stand this special snowflake. If you want to get off while on the run, use your hand. Jesus. *roll eyes forever*

Rachel Reads Ravenously I think this was an eloquent and great review Lana! Not everyone is going to love every book and we should be allowed to express that without being attacked.

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth ♥~♥Geri ~ the Racy Lit Reader ♥~♥ wrote: "Woman, you know I started this and I have to put it down because I could not stand this special snowflake. If you want to get off while on the run, use your hand. Jesus. *roll eyes forever*"

LMAO!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Milking me...Noooo! That is one of my pet peeves. I HATE that phrase. It needs to be banished forever, I'll start a petition right now. Awesome review, Lana! xx"

Not my favorite phrasing either. Thanks, babe!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Arabella ~♡AB♡~ wrote: "Fabulous review! A vibrator, seriously??

P. S it's a shame some people get offended by other people's opinions on a book :/"

It's a shame indeed. But it is what it is.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7