Anna's Reviews > The Establishment: And How They Get Away with It

The Establishment by Owen   Jones

bookshelves: nonfiction, politics, economics

Well, that was very depressing. Owen Jones' book really needs an additional chapter titled 'And Then It All Got Worse: the 2015 Election and Brexit'. The current concluding chapter sounds an optimistic note, which is entirely crushed by knowledge of subsequent events. As for the rest, it is solid, clearly written, deeply enraging piece of longform journalism. Jones sets out in measured terms the roles of the police, politicians, bankers, etc in promoting neoliberal ideology and their own interests. I am withholding the fifth star as the book didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already or give any new insight into the failures of neoliberalism. That is no reflection on the book's quality, it's simply because I'd already read a fair bit of similar material, of which this is an excellent synthesis. The details of how unions have been sidelined were less familiar to me and the interview snippets livened things up, also the role of think tanks was dealt with very well. Overall, it was definitely worth reading as context for the fiasco of current UK politics, however for more detail on specific themes (eg the housing crisis, the mechanics of the credit crunch, and the underlying theory of free market economics) there are other books I'd recommend. And if you want to feel some slight glimmer of hope for UK politics, try Honourable Friends?: Parliament and the Fight for Change by Caroline Lucas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Establishment.

March 16, 2016 – Shelved