Kribu's Reviews > Desolation

Desolation by Derek Landy

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley, read-in-2016, young-adult, demons

Stars. Sigh. Always a difficult issue. Maybe, if Goodreads had half stars, I'd be tempted to give it two and a half stars; as it is, when having to choose between "it was ok" and "liked it", I'm leaning far more towards the "it was ok" side, overall. So two stars it is.

Sigh.

I'll attempt to flesh this review out a bit (if I can manage it) closer to actual release date or when it's out, because there were some rather specific things I had specific problems with that would require me to go into spoiler territory, but ... well, in general, the very knowledge that it took me five days to make my way through the book, where until now I've basically devoured every Derek Landy book in a day, two at the most, is probably saying something.

I'm fairly sure a lot of readers will love it. It's not a horrible book (I know some will disagree but when I'm rating it "it was ok", that's basically what I mean) and I think that for many who aren't as sensitive to specific issues (which I'm not, but there were things that made me wince because of the way they were included), don't mind the new side characters and - perhaps even more importantly - aren't solid fans of the Skulduggery Pleasant series, it will feel like a rather entertaining, fresh, action-filled book with a relatively solid central plot.

To me... well. It felt tired. Boring, even. Going through the motions, for a lot of it. There were some really good bits - most of the scenes where it was just Milo and Amber, really - but unfortunately, for me, those bits were in the minority. The banter in particular, which has generally been the highlight of any Derek book, just felt so ... drained. It didn't sparkle. It was very samey and very little of it was actually funny. It could be just that I'm drifting away from this sort of stuff, I'm not sure, but .. the new characters and their banter was so interchangeable so often that it wasn't fun to read page after page after page of it.

I'm not going to complain about the tedious gore because that's what this series is about to a big extent but since I'm not a big fan, it didn't help.

The very ending .. I'm not entirely happy about how it was written but the premise is intriguing enough that in spite of all my grumbling, I think I will want to see how this trilogy ends.

* ARC of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. Thanks!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desolation.

March 16, 2016 – Started Reading