Sarah's Reviews > Chaucer's Translation of Boethius's De Consolatione Philosophiæ

Chaucer's Translation of Boethius's De Consolatione Philosophiæ by Boethius

liked it
bookshelves: english-lit, medieval-lit

Going into De Consolantione Philosophiae, I didn't know it was a translation. Thankfully, I wasn't misled for too long! Therefore, I can't really judge it truly as a work of Chaucer, but simply Boethius' lamentations told through the words graciously given to the reader by Chaucer.

I have to admit that as intriguing and as lengthy as this work is, I had a very hard time sticking to it and staying interested. While the discussion Boethius brings up is poignant and thought-provoking, maybe it's the Middle English translation that's got me falling asleep on it. However, looking that, I can see the pain and suffering of the author, who may or may not have committed a crime for which he would die a painful death. From this suffering comes a message about why God lets bad things happen to people. Surprisingly enough, this doesn't mean that Boethius whines and whines forever. I could compare this work to modern self-help books.... except better. There's quite a potent, spiritual message to be construed that is worth digging through Chaucer's flowery translation for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chaucer's Translation of Boethius's De Consolatione Philosophiæ.

March 16, 2016 – Started Reading
March 16, 2016 – Shelved
March 16, 2016 – Shelved as: english-lit
March 16, 2016 – Shelved as: medieval-lit
March 20, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

RK-ïsme The kind of book that is at once enticing and off-putting. Nice review.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam There is a notable difference with Chaucer's version. Am I right in thinking he rendered it all into prose? In a more closely fitting form it is actually prose interspersed with poetry, so that may be where Chaucer's version lacks a little bit compared to other translations.

Sarah Well Sam, I haven't had any experience with any other version of this book but I think it is safe to say that Chaucer's version is different. It still reads as if it were his own work stylistically if that makes any sense. Like I said, at first I sort of thought it was Chaucer's work mistakenly, but quickly found out it is not.