Jeff Landau's Reviews > Damage

Damage by John Lescroart

Apr 01, 2011

bookshelves: fiction-crime-mystery

I am very grateful when the characters and action in a book get my attention, involve me and create a momentum that I must get back to. John Lescroarts Damage freed me from TV series and movies of this genre. That's one of the things good books do. At first the characters seemed young and 2 dimensional and chatty. And then BAM. Anger, rage and action from explosive personalities, "burnt to a crisp"' , better get home your house is on fire, WHAT. Affairs, Suspects. Copycat or seriel killer? A real updated who done it that kept my attention.It was the who done it that I found myself most involved in. Also Lescroarts sculpting of the criminal mind, with Ro Curtlee's way of thinking and acting, and the conditions that would awaken and rekindle the Butler-bodyguard. I found myself glad that somebody took the lead, Glitsky, San Francisco, homicide kept at it, on his own,in a moral regular guy way, under great threat and pressure, persuing thoughts, strategies and leads, and unraveling just who did what, so that the victims of these gruesome criminal acts would experience the relief of justice and of knowing. Why not 5 stars? The pressure brought to bear on the police department by a powerful prominent family who had the mayor, the newspapers, and a powerful lawyer, on their side, and the denial on the part of the parents of the "evil" they create by denying their sons actions and "neutralizing" witnesses was immediately palpable and understood. Yet I -might- have wanted to know more about the Daily dealings of the Curtlees, and although it may happen this way in real life, the solution that finally occurs appeared "Deus ex machina". Finally, though well done and very satisfying, every loose end was tied up perfectly.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damage.