Karnika Kapoor's Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

It's an interesting read, the protagonist speaks to a crowd and the reader experiences it's being directed to them as well. The Protagonist, a wise man, talks about a way of living and about the common themes such as friendship, love, pleasure, pain, etc. It teaches about a balanced way of living, in a beautiful prose. The expression is simplest yet metaphors used are clever and admirable.
The "preaching" is about finding equilibrium in life and being a better human yourself rather than seeking outside conditions be to make life better for you. The Prophet talks about being a better person towards others (if done collectively could turn life pleasant for everyone). It tells about compassion and empathy. Moreover, it infers that being judgemental towards others is not a good practice. It can be deemed into a spiritual book but not religious. However, It talks about "God" but not in a morphic-ish state.
I recommended this book, it indeed is a masterpiece and a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.

Quotes Karnika Liked

Kahlil Gibran
“You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts.”
Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Kahlil Gibran
“To belittle, you have to be little.”
Kahill Gibran, The Prophet

Kahlil Gibran
“We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us. Even while the earth sleeps we travel. We are the seeds of the tenacious plant, and it is in our ripeness and our fullness of heart that we are given to the wind and are scattered.”
Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Kahlil Gibran
“When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as
the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.”
Khalil Gibran, The Prophet