Vicky's Reviews > The Kissing Game: Stories of Defiance and Flash Fictions

The Kissing Game by Aidan Chambers

Apr 01, 2011

liked it
Read in January, 2011

This is a collection of short stories, some of them very short (flash fiction). As in most collections, I enjoyed a couple of them, but several left me scratching my head wondering what the author was trying to put across. In all of them, the main character is between the ages of 14 and 18.

The story with the young man wrote a letter to his school's headmaster about why he should be excused from physical education. Something I'm sure most of us would have enjoyed getting out of at one time or another. There was another story about a young man, again writing a letter, this time to the town council, telling why he should be allowed to live on his own and how he is self-sufficient. These two stand out in my mind as being well done. The rest...not so much.

There is a decidedly British aspect to the stories, both in theme, spelling and experience, but this doesn't detract from the stories overall.

If you're looking for quick reads, go ahead and pick this up. I'm sure you'll find at least one or two stories in the collection that will pique your interest. If nothing else, several of them (for instance the two mentioned here) will lead to good discussions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kissing Game.