Mariana Zapata's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

It's been about a week since I finished reading BSoG, and I figured it had been long enough for me to collect my thoughts after the lump of feels it left in the center of my chest. I can't remember the last time I left a review but after the wide range of emotions the book made me face, I knew I had to get on here and do it. I haven't picked up YA in years but this one reminded me of why I used to love this genre.

I finished this in a day. One day. I haven't read anything so quickly in forever. At the end, I sat there with what felt like a hole in my chest and goosebumps on my arms. I was mad, sad, happy, then angry and frustrated. History was my favorite subject in school, and I was honestly outraged that no one knows what happened to the Lithuanian people.

And that ending, God help me. I had to go back and make sure I got the epilogue and once I did, I reread the last chapter, the epilogue and I had to take a minute and stew on my thoughts. It was perfect. I can't think of a better way Ms. Sepetys could have ended it... even if I had about a gazillion questions floating around in my head.

I should admit that I remember someone recommending this to me years ago but the title had me side-eyeing it. I'll be the one to say it: I'm an idiot. I should have read this a long time ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.

Finished Reading