Kana's Reviews > Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World

Apr 01, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: health-and-diet
Read from April 01 to 05, 2011

I am Vegan for health reasons first, animal cruelty secondly. But I wanted some advice on how to approach my family/friends about why I did this, and what it means, etc. So I picked up the book. I found alot of the advice helpful but the 'preachiness/ holier than thou' attitude of the first half of the book got old quick.
I would have preferred the book to have stuck more to the facts, and not loaded every sentence with a couple of facts and alot of opinion. With fire and brimstone on how evil we are as human beings. I wanted a more positive focus on 'this is how to change all this', instead of the guilt trip. The authors sounded very bitter and angry and wanted to push this down your throat. And the impression I got was that if someone didn't totally agree with them, that they were looked down upon. (Uncool. This book was abrasive for anyone curious about Veganism and may in fact turn alot of people off to it.)
Again, I found it helpful but you just have to look past the first half of the book before it stops making you feel like total crap for existing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vegan Freak.

04/01 page 50
03/06 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Stephanie i am a recent vegan and tried to read this book but was so annoyed by the condescending tone that i stopped before i got halfway through. any advice on which chapter i could start at so that i avoided this....seriously, i've been staring at it for 3 weeks trying to pick it back up. thanks!

message 2: by Kana (new) - rated it 1 star

Kana Stephanie wrote: "i am a recent vegan and tried to read this book but was so annoyed by the condescending tone that i stopped before i got halfway through. any advice on which chapter i could start at so that i avo..."

I have to sadly say, that the last few chapters are better. But really, it was difficult to find any chapter that didn't continue the high opinionated tone. I found myself skimming when they went on their rants, until I found actual info.

Heather McWhorter I've only made it through Chapter 1 & I want to throw it in the trash & write the authors to tell them their "holier than thou" attitudes are hurting more than helping. I despise this type of vegan behavior & fell that THEY are actually the ones giving vegans a bad rap. But I paid money for the book & gosh darn it, I'm gonna finish reading it. I hope they stop trying to guilt trip everyone soon & get to the point. So far I've gotten absolutely nothing out of reading this.

message 4: by Kana (new) - rated it 1 star

Kana I felt the same way, it's extremely intimidating for anyone who was just curious about it. I would say skip to the last few chapters, that was really the most helpful part.

Heather wrote: "I've only made it through Chapter 1 & I want to throw it in the trash & write the authors to tell them their "holier than thou" attitudes are hurting more than helping. I despise this type of vegan..."

Bustagroovy Animal cruelty is their reason for being vegans. Anyone who isn't concerned for the animals' welfare (ie. "health reasons" first) will find this a tough read. Personally, I care so much more about the animals than your health, so I got quite a bit out of this book.

message 6: by Kana (new) - rated it 1 star

Kana Leigh wrote: "Animal cruelty is their reason for being vegans. Anyone who isn't concerned for the animals' welfare (ie. "health reasons" first) will find this a tough read. Personally, I care so much more about ..."

Good for you, so go write that on your own review and go away now.

message 7: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 27, 2012 08:36AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Stephanie Leigh wrote: "Animal cruelty is their reason for being vegans. Anyone who isn't concerned for the animals' welfare (ie. "health reasons" first) will find this a tough read. Personally, I care so much more about ..."

yes, right - it's because you care more about animals than we do that you enjoyed it. this is just the kind of attitude that makes the book unpalatable. it's a tough read and ineffective at what it aims to do because they are sanctimonious. there is a much better way of reaching people than telling them how amazing you are for being vegan and how it makes you better than other people.

message 8: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat thank you for validating my feelings on this! i was so excited about the idea of this book... then i realized why my friends actually respect *me* and *my* veganism versus other, more publicly visible (and somehow more accepted) ways of being vegan... i AM a human who chose to be vegan 10+ years ago - i don't need to do be reminded that a lot of other hardline asshole vegans really don't respect other people's humanity.

message 9: by Kana (new) - rated it 1 star

Kana Pat wrote: "thank you for validating my feelings on this! i was so excited about the idea of this book... then i realized why my friends actually respect *me* and *my* veganism versus other, more publicly visi..."

Thank you. If anyone finds a book that gives advice on explaining this to friends/family without the negativity, please let me know. I found some advice in here but not very much.

Felicia Risolo I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way! I honestly stopped reading because I just couldn't get past it. Such a bummer!

Marina I think it is a matter of sharing the same sense of humour, I didn't find it negative, quite the opposite.

message 12: by Kana (new) - rated it 1 star

Kana There are plenty of reviews that have the same complaints as me. I'm curious why people feel the need to say I'm wrong for thinking this book was very disappointing.