Patrick's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

(Review from the author)

I kinda liked this book. But my opinion on the matter probably shouldn't be trusted....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Patrick Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”

Finished Reading
February 19, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-50 of 270 (270 new)

Alena Well, it's good to know that you liked it. I'd be really worried if you didn't!

Annette I loved it and have recommended it to several friends :)

Missy Ann Just picked this one up from the library yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to read it over xmas vacation.

Sandi I would really, really worry about an author who gave his or her own book less than five stars.

For the record, I thought it was really good, but I only gave it four stars. I try not to give too many five star ratings.

message 5: by Sandi (last edited Jan 10, 2009 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandi By the way, this book keeps coming up in the Science Fiction and Fantasy book group and the Fantasy Book Club. I read it for a Yahoo group. It's getting lots of great buzz from real readers.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to read this, but I have a hard time committing to a new author with a long trilogy.

I wish new authors would write shorter first works, and books not part of a series. I've heard a ton of great things about it though, and I might check it out after it is finished.

message 7: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon @D_Davis

This book stands alone very well, even though it is the first part of a series. I was very satisfied with the way it ended.

Please, give it a try. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Sandi Give this one a try, D. I think you'll be pleased.

message 9: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Believe it or not, D_Davis, these days publishers push series (even from freshman writers) for economic reasons. Get used to seeing them.

I agree that many are poor stand alones, but think you'll find The Name of the Wind satisfying.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ron wrote: "Believe it or not, D_Davis, these days publishers push series (even from freshman writers) for economic reasons. Get used to seeing them.

I agree that many are poor stand alones, but think you'll..."

Oh - I know. This is why I don't read much new genre fiction.

At least the small press horror still seems interested in single novels.

Avala Pendragon I.Love.Your.Book.<3

Krista I couldn't put this book down, and am eagerly awaiting more!

Deesix I read this book a while ago. I've considered finding where you live and encouraging you to write the second faster. It can't come soon enough.

David as long as you liked it enough to continue the story.... i thought it was excellent.

message 15: by Lin (new)

Lin I think any author who can give his own book a five-star rating and leave such an amusing and self-deprecating comment is a must-read. I've just added your book to my list, and I'll buy it tomorrow.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 07, 2009 03:18PM) (new)

It's a very decent fantasy novel. You could do much worse.

message 17: by Lin (new)

Lin D_Davis wrote: "It's a very decent fantasy novel. You could do much worse."

I'm sure I have done much worse. I appreciate your comment, especially as you were initially so reluctant to read it. Thanks.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes - I enjoyed. Especially the parts about the music. Being a musician myself, these parts really touched me, and they were well written.

However, I can't say that I will be rushing out to read the sequels.

Heather Faye Well, we kinda liked it too Pat. GRIN. That's why the average rating is 4.44. Of course I think that's low and some idiot fell asleep at his keyboard when he was rating it and accidentally rated it lower than a five... but that's just me.

message 20: by Merrin (last edited Sep 23, 2009 09:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Merrin So I read this book, and at the point that Kvote is telling Bast why his story isn't your typical hero story (though I do mourn the lack of an enigmatic talking mentor-squirrel) I had to break out the iPhone (because my computer was dead dead dead) and laboriously tap out the entire quote with my thumbs, because I was sure that if I waited till morning I would forget it and it wouldn't have the same meaning. Well, I did forget it this morning and most of this day, buy when I went to update goodreads that I'd finished the book, I found it again. You'll be happy to know it is actually more awesome today than it was last night.

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Pat - I love your read count.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I never wanted to read book 2 of any story this much!!!

Chris Theibault This book is the reason why I love the fantasy genre so much. I can't praise this work enough. I'm so pumped for the next book. Pat your blog also rocks and I go to it at least twice a day!
Anyone that has not been to it should go and read the archives for more of Mr. Rothfuss' witty/waggish banter about the upcoming book, fans, other projects and so much more! As an added bonus you get his wickedly awesome beardage!

message 24: by Aquist0174 (last edited Dec 28, 2009 02:17PM) (new)

Aquist0174 hilarious. And the fact that I am STILL keeping tabs for word of a sequel many years after the first was written and eagerly read says quite a bit I think. All I can say is: Please? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Jondavis73 The Name of the Wind was an amazing read, everything I was hoping for in a fantasy novel and more. I frequent Pat's blog pretty much daily for book 2 news (wiity banter is very entertaining in the meanwhile)!

Victoria For the record, I laughed aloud, cried, and had my hands shake while reading this book.

That hasn't happened to me since I was a child.

Dorsi I am not yet finished with this book but from what I have read so far it is superior! I am enjoying this book more than any I have read in a long, long time. It is comletely captivating.

Meredith It's fantastic...I picked it up on a whim and am so glad I did. I feel like I've been waiting for a book like this for a long time. 2011 is going to be a long wait.

message 29: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara It is my favorite book. I would pre-order the trilogy in signed hardback copies if I could.

Nice work, you have a gift for storytelling.

Hey Patrick, do you ever do readings??

message 30: by ~♥*Marianna*♥~ (last edited Jul 24, 2010 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~♥*Marianna*♥~ "...and became a skilled lover of women."

really?

that had to go into your bio?

lol

cracked me up.

Audrey This book refreshed my love for this genre. I loved how there is magic but it does not override the "normal" human society.Kvothe is an honorable and lovable character that I want to get to know better. I expect wonderful and fresh story telling for this trilogy. Go, Rothfuss, Go!

Aryana i kinda liked it too...

Shannon I was bored. After Jordan and Martin, I thought I would not read any more of these wonderful stories. I am so happy to say, you have restored my belief in a deep, meaningful story that can be told in a few books rather than 5, 10...thank you thank you thank you. I cannot wait for the next book!

Arttakra I have now read this book back to front 6 times, and whenever I don't have anything good to read which is often I pick it up and re-read my favourite parts. I plan on reading it again just before the release of wise mans fear so its all fresh in my mind. My thanks for such a great book Pat!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

i've never re-read a book until i got hold of this book

Shane My favorite book ever...hopefully only untill book two of this series is released. I went into this one thinking the second book was already available and was turned upside down when I figured out I was going to have to wait.

Patrick..what ever you did here, please continue doing it your entire life and if you could just release books about every three days that would be great.

Name of the Wind?? I think Patrick Rothfuss learned the "Name of the Fantasy Novel" because there is no other way a book could be this good other than somehow magically speaking it into existence.

Tx9214 Patrick, you're writing is fantastic. My favorite book. Ever. Well, at least until Wise Man's Fear comes out.

Madhu I agree though like is not strong enough. I didn't know this was the first book of the series. I bought it at a sale in different country looking to alleviate boredom. I am waiting to read Wise man's fear feeling worse than an addict feels I'm sure.

Martina my very first fantasy book... i think it was very very good and cant wait for the next one...

Nithin I'd say your opinion matters, as its a job WELL DONE... :)

message 41: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli I agree with "well done" I just found out that the second book came out and RUSHED to buy it!! I was literally biting at the chomp... pacing my floor for months waiting to experience the next "chapter" of Kvothe's life. Thank you for helping my waste my time in a constructive and very intriguing way!

Nathan Budd I'm about to read it for the fourth time in three years, so I can be familiar with everything when I start the second one!

Jennifer It was amazing, and if your not rushing out for then sequels then you don't know what a good read is. This is the next best book of the decade. Unless twilight fans do something ridiculous lol Really enjoyed reading it though. So much I preordered the second and will do so with the third and why not continue on after that :)

Jasmine M you kinda like it ?!!!!!!!!!
what about the rest of us....now that you said that ...i want better and better books from you

Michael Will I'm happy I found these books. I'm mad I found them so soon. I read the first 2 books in 3 weeks and now I know it will be years before I'll have a chance to read the third :(

Brian I love both books enough that I don't mind rereading them while I wait for the third. All my goodreads friends who have reviewed them (including Pat) gave them 5 stars. I don't think I've ever seen that with another book. It must be rigged.

Zazzer I love the book, and I'm planning on reading the second as soon as I get back from vacation.

message 48: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Hall I bow before the glory that is this book.

Elliott I've read this book twice since I've gotten it, the story is woven together perfectly. A joy to read.

Muyiwa not used to reading books twice but i might make an exception with this book. simply amazing.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6