Mark Pearce's Reviews > Bloq

Bloq by Alan      Jones

Let me say right from the off I didn't know what to expect. I'm read some self-published books which if I'm really honest would have been better off not being written let alone been published. Bloq was not one of these. Bloq is a gritty crime thriller set mainly in London though some of the earlier action takes place in Scotland. Bill is a widower who has one daughter Carol. She is expected for Christmas but doesn't turn up. Bill sets out to find her and in doing comes into contact with Bloq, which is a night club run by an Albanian. He also meets Anna, who is also searching for someone. I won't say too much more about that for fear of giving too much away. They join forces and the book details how they set about finding Carol and then getting a measure of revenge on the Bloq set up. The book is well written with a good pace mostly. There were some places where I felt it could have been paced better but there was a good amount of back story and information to give to the reader. Some of it could have been omitted in my opinion, but it is my opinion and didn't spoil my enjoyment. There was a fair bit of violence and sex within the book but I felt that mostly this added to, rather than detracted from the story. Editing and proofreading was pretty good throughout which is also in my experience impressive for such a book. The ending was a bit of a surprise again not going to mention the specifics. All in all a good, though not great, book but one which makes me want to read more of Alan's books. Good reading and one I would recommend to other members.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloq.

March 12, 2016 – Started Reading