George's Reviews > Empire of Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons

Empire of Imagination by Michael Witwer

liked it

I liked it, but kinda/sorta.

I liked the delving down into D&D's birth and evolution, and contrary to some, I liked the chapter intro snippets that establish a little flavour. The downside is, D&D is fantasy and this is a biography of sorts, of Gygax, of Arneson, of TSR, of rpgs in general, but once the realities of lawyers, lawsuits, drugs and so on intrude, sure, it's average biography, but I wanted to just waft on sugar coating.

By adding the hard edge of uglier truths, the biographer would have to be a more accomplished biographer. Thus, for flavour, a 5, for love of subject, a 5, for grittiness without the chops to really drill down into it, a 3. Wah. Oh and totally cool cover art, even if it does shamelessly mirror Unearthed Arcana.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Imagination.

Finished Reading
March 15, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Good review. I've had this one on my list for awhile and hope to get to it soon and "waft on sugar coating." (Great phrase!)