Alexandra Daw's Reviews > Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club

Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman

Mar 15, 2016

I heard about this and another YA title on ABC Local Radio recently. I am not normally inclined towards reading fantasy but Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club intrigued me, given its Regency/historical bent. The author acknowledges her mother for introducing her to Georgette Heyer and generously provides research notes for those readers wishing to follow up historical sources/references. As my own mother found Heyer deeply comforting before bedtime, I was hooked and I am delighted to say that I enjoyed this Regency romp.

The fantasy undercurrents give it a modern twist and I venture to suggest it has all the hallmarks of a promising adaptation for the small or big screen. All the essential ingredients are here for a satisfying read for an adolescent standing on the precipice of adulthood. Parents have been successfully dispatched to the next world, an odious uncle controls the heroine's inheritance and there are two suitors for the heroine's romantic attention - one of them deliciously dark and brooding (a social outcast) and the other enticingly solid in all important areas such as friendship, social stature and wealth. What more could a girl ask for? The thrills and spills of a nether world for a start. Enter the Reclaimers and the Deceivers and our heroine is called to action. Enjoy the ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club.

March 15, 2016 – Started Reading