Rachel C.'s Reviews > The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco

bookshelves: youth, public-domain-misc

Beautiful and deeply touching. At Meredith's wedding last year, her brother and sister read a passage from this book, including the below - an inspired choice.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Velveteen Rabbit.

Quotes Rachel C. Liked

Margery Williams Bianco
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
Margery Williams Bianco, The Velveteen Rabbit

Started Reading
January 1, 1986 – Finished Reading
February 19, 2008 – Shelved
February 19, 2008 – Shelved as: youth
January 30, 2014 – Shelved as: public-domain-misc

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Ashley Yes! I saw this excerpt as a suggestion for a wedding reading, and I knew that I, too, had to have it. In fact, seeing that is what inspired me to re-read the story. The Skin Horse bit gets me every time.

Blooming Daily I love your review! It could not have been done better.
completely feel the same way. Is my favorite childhood book!

Coco & Bambi beautiful and true

Barbara Rose, RN, INHC, RH RMT Now that I am a grandma I am reading children’s books again. I started reading this one to my 9 month old the other day and could barely get through it. So many beautiful feelings surfaced about true / real love. The passages you referenced especially brought me to tears. I saved a few of my daughter’s toys and stuffed animals which she and I loved....
Absolutely one of my favorite books! 🌟💝🌹