Joshee Kun (조수아)'s Reviews > Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read March 14, 2016 to April 17, 2016.

I listened to the audio books of these stories six months ago, and I absolutely loved them. I particularly loved the story which was narrated by the man-crushable Sam Heughan. Wahaha!

Anyway, it was a delight to get to know more about Simon Lewis, who was literally given a clean slate in City of Heavenly Fire. I was able to sympathize with his memory and identity crisis, which inevitably caused a strain in his relationships, whether they be friendly, familial, or romantic. It was admirable how he did his best to scrape up the pieces of his past while gradually embracing his new future as a Shadowhunter.

Furthermore, I enjoyed getting satisfactory glimpses into the lives of The Mortal Instruments's main protagonists. Magnus and Alec were definitely the ones who stood out for me, given their rekindled romance. I've never been one of their shippers, but I was intrigued by the drama and complexity of their relationship.

The characters of The Infernal Devices were also given their own stories, and I especially loved learning more about their descendants, who were very diverse and well-developed. Until now, I cannot get over how Tessa got to build families with both Will and Jem. Lucky her! LOL.

Plot-wise, these stories were simultaneously nostalgic and refreshing. The familiar Shadowhunter world was expanded as a new generation of Nephilim was introduced. The missions and fighting scenes were engaging as usual, and the Academy was like an urbanized version of Hogwarts. Of course, Cassandra Clare's signature, heartbreaking plot twists were present once again. ;)

All things considered, I highly recommend reading (or listening to) this collection. I am glad to have finished it before starting The Dark Artifices. This might be quite a shock: my copy of Lady Midnight has been untouched since March, so I hope to finally read it soon. I've been a fan of the Shadowhunter world since 2010, and I'm excited to read about Emma Carstairs and Julian Blackthorn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
March 14, 2016 – Started Reading
March 14, 2016 – Shelved
April 17, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 16, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 18, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: physically-owned (Paperback Edition)
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Caitlin READ LADY MIDNIGHT! It's so good

message 2: by Christian (new)

Christian ^ yas

Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen Great review. :)

message 4: by Joshee Kun (new) - added it

Joshee Kun (조수아) Caitlin wrote: "READ LADY MIDNIGHT! It's so good"

Gotcha! I'll start it ASAP. :D

message 5: by Joshee Kun (new) - added it

Joshee Kun (조수아) Christian wrote: "^ yas"

I wonder how many more books about Shadowhunters will Cassie write? XD

message 6: by Joshee Kun (new) - added it

Joshee Kun (조수아) Nicay │ The Nerdy side of a Queen wrote: "Great review. :)"

Thank you, Nicay! :D

message 7: by Sinéad (new)

Sinéad Sam Heughan narrates a story?! For the first time ever I want the audiobook not the book! :D

message 8: by Joshee Kun (last edited Nov 18, 2016 02:47AM) (new) - added it

Joshee Kun (조수아) Sinéad wrote: "Sam Heughan narrates a story?! For the first time ever I want the audiobook not the book! :D"

Yes! He narrates The Fiery Trial, which is the eighth story. His voice is like a lullaby. Hehe. :D