Arlene's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Mar 31, 2011

bookshelves: arc, read-2011, dystopic, ya-dystopic, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Booker ARC Tour - Alexa Thank you!
Read from April 06 to 09, 2011

This book is totally WICKED!! I am, without a doubt, hooked. I want more… NOW!

Divergent by Veronica Roth is one of the more highly anticipated YA dystopic novels set to come out next month, so I’m very fortunate for my Street Corner Booker friend for sharing this great read with me on our ARC tour. Thank you Alexa!

I have to say, I had an absolute blast reading this wild ride of an adventure, and I enjoyed every minute of it. EVERY.SINGLE.MINUTE! I haven’t had this sort of rush since Katniss entered the Hunger Games and turned my world right side out! The characters, setting, plot, pace and narrative where perfectly blended to produce a highly action packed novel that I’m sure will captivate dystopia fans. I’ve found a series that will keep me eager for the coming releases, and I can’t wait to read more of Tris and her crew of Divergents!

The story takes place in an undermined future where the world is divided into factions, including Candor (honest), Abnegation (selflessness), Dauntless (daring), Erudite (knowledgeable), and Amity (peaceful). Tris, our main character, has reached the age of sixteen where she is tested and placed in a faction that complements her intuition and character. As the story progresses and she chooses her path, it’s suddenly clear that she doesn’t quite fit in just one faction and that proves threatening for those controlling this perfect society because as a Divergent, she can’t easily be manipulated. What comes next is a continuous reveal of hidden agendas and power plays.

I loved to see how Tris evolved in the story. In the beginning, we get hints of her courage and intuition, and as she goes through her initiations her badassness explodes! There’s nothing I love more than female characters that can kick some serious ass! She was awesome.

Now I have to say, number Four took a while to grow on me, but eventually it happened. I like his tactile nature… one moment while I wipe the steam off of my glasses… :P I will have to say the reveal surrounding his name was a little underwhelming (view spoiler) but there was so much to this character that just took off after the second half and I found myself anticipating his scenes. Loved Four!

The final quarter of the book goes into high gear and the adrenaline rush is loaded with high octane power. This book did it right and I just can’t wait for the next release. This is one series that will find itself on my top shelf. LOVED.IT!

Thank you Alexa! <3 Nic, you're next! =]

>.<

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

04/06/2011 page 85
17.0% "I'm feeling a little Dauntless today... definitely not Erudite. ^^" 6 comments
04/07/2011 page 265
53.0% "Still hooked..." 1 comment
02/11/2016 marked as: read

Alexa Yay! :D

Crystal You are welcome!! I had to it was that good!!

Arlene Thank you!! You Bookers are the BESTEST!

Sarah M It looks great. Hope you enjoy this Arlene!

~Tina~ wOOt!! Happy Reading!

Arlene Thanks Sarah and Tina!

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Great review Arlene! I am super excited to hear that is awesome and is upto HG standards. Can't wait to read it ~goes sits by the mailbox~

Flannery *brings Nic some hot chocolate*
It might be a while to get there!

message 9: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes what a review! i'm really excited for this one... everyone's been loving on it :)

~Tina~ Yay's!! So glad you loved this one hun! AWESOME review, can't wait to buy this once it hits the shelves!

FOUR<3!

Alexa Very happy that you loved it! Can't wait for the next book either. Wonderful review! :)

message 12: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Awesome review, Arlene! Sounds like this is definitely one of the better dystopians. :)

Lyndsey A good new YA dystopia?! It's a frikkin miracle!!

Arlene @ Nic, Nomes, Tina and Lora. Thank you! I really loved this one.

@ Alexa, thanks so much for sharing it with me. Such a great book

@ Lyndsey, LOL FINALLY! :P

Crystal Brilliant review!! I am so glad that you liked this one!!

Arlene Thank you Crystal. Yes, I enjoyed it much!

message 17: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli I want to read this book very much! I hope I love it just as much

Arlene Eli, I hope you get a chance to read it soon. It was really good! Happy reading. :)

Arlene LOL Luanne. Yeah it was pretty good. So glad you're enjoying this. I didn't realize that I hadn't mentioned it to you. Sorry!

message 20: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi i can't believe that we have to wait 2 more months for the second book to come out! i am obsessed with this book!!

Arlene Oh me too Kimi. I want the next book NOW! :D

message 22: by Yair (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yair i like this book alot im halveway through it and its just awsome

Arlene Yair wrote: "i like this book alot im halveway through it and its just awsome"

Glad to hear you're enjoying the book Yair. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I believe it comes out next week. Happy reading... :)

message 24: by Gena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gena Clarish <3

Totallydauntless this book is amazing.I don't wanna give it back to the library. <3 :)

Arlene I hear ya! Great book!

Tsukalavire I'm so scared to read the third book when it comes out Ms. Roth surprised me so much in the first and second I'm excited yet terrified to see it all end x3

Arlene @Tsukalavire. I still need to read book two ~hides in shame~ :)

message 29: by Haya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haya MB Which faction would you choose?

Arlene Haya wrote: "Which faction would you choose?"

Probably Erudite (knowledgeable) because I'm hoping I'd get access to LOTS and LOTS of books! :D

Jamie i am halfway through the first book and cant wait to read the other 2!

Arlene Jamie wrote: "i am halfway through the first book and cant wait to read the other 2!"

I can't wait to see the movie for this one. It looks good! Hope you enjoy the series Jamie! :)

Isobel I SO agree with this review I completely loved this book and I am glad that so many others did too!!

Arlene Isobel wrote: "I SO agree with this review I completely loved this book and I am glad that so many others did too!!"

So glad you loved it Isobel!

Eliza Just to keep a good image don't read the third book

Arlene Eliza wrote: "Just to keep a good image don't read the third book"

Oh I hear ya Eliza... I stopped at this one. I heard what happens, and I'm out... No need to go further and this book. I met the author after I read this book and well... let's just say this book was great, but Roth and I must part ways here. :/

~Tina~ ...I agree, third book...not good my friend.

message 38: by Arlene (last edited Mar 19, 2014 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene ~Tina~ wrote: "...I agree, third book...not good my friend."

I asked for a spoiler and I still can't believe it. I'm not going to invest in book 2 and 3 if that's what happens. I gave my first two books away to make it official. LOL

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Arlene Andrea wrote: "I felt like the entire third book just felt different and empty, not just "that moment." I was disappointed with the entire thing, but I do love the first one."

I loved the first one too Andrea and I just don't want to taint my experience with continuing on. I feel lately that books that are shoved into series are more often than not set up to fail. Very rarely do they succeed all the way through. With the exception of Legend and Hunger Games, there's just too much room to fail.

Sorry you didn't care for the last book. :( I've decided to not even go there.

Eliza If you want to keep it a good image still don't see the movie it was horrible!

message 42: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia R U going to read book 2?

Arlene Eliza wrote: "If you want to keep it a good image still don't see the movie it was horrible!"

Too funny Eliza. I broke down and watched the movie this weekend and I actually liked it. I'm slightly curious about reading book 2 because my friend insists it was really good, but I will force myself to stop there. :)

Arlene Maia wrote: "R U going to read book 2?"

I just might... not sure yet. :)

Eliza I finished the whole series but then I saw the movie and it kinda was like seriously are you trying to ruin the image of this book.

Arlene Eliza wrote: "I finished the whole series but then I saw the movie and it kinda was like seriously are you trying to ruin the image of this book."

What didn't you like about it?

message 47: by Lillie (new) - added it

Lillie Tyler Arlene, your review caught my eye out of the thousands, because our opinions are very similar. I read Divergent over the summer and I couldn’t get enough of it. I completely agree that this book is comparable to The Hunger Games. Just like you, I loved that the novel kept the readers on the edge of their seat. The character Tris also had a big impact on the story. As her courage evolves, the story unfolds. You’re completely right! The author gives hint of her dangerous side in the beginning, such as, her being the first one to jump off the bridge, or taking the knife for her friend. We have the same perspective of this amazing novel. I love that the author brought women pride and strength as a theme. I also can’t wait to read the next novel.

message 48: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Larson Dear Arlene,
I agree with you so much about Divergent! I also found it very exciting to see how Tris’s character evolved throughout the story. Her character is so tough and powerful; exactly what a female heroine should be. I’m 100% with you on Four. I thought he was an intimidating, hard person. But he really began to grow on me too and now he’s my favorite character! Thank you for reviewing.

Arlene Lillie wrote: "Arlene, your review caught my eye out of the thousands, because our opinions are very similar. I read Divergent over the summer and I couldn’t get enough of it. I completely agree that this book is..."

So glad you enjoyed the book Lillie! I hope you enjoy the next one. :)

Arlene Anna wrote: "Dear Arlene,

You're welcome Anna! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your opinion. :) I hope you continue to enjoy the series.

« previous 1