Molly's Reviews > Seven Days of You

Seven Days of You by Cecilia Vinesse

bookshelves: japan

This book and I connected deeply. It also passed my "authentic Japan" test. Go forth and read!

This book is very much an expat story. It's not about a girl moving to Japan and learning about it and sharing her learned experiences. It's about a teen that lives in a foreign country not but her own choice. She didn't go to Japan to discover and explore. I see a lot of reviews saying that the Japanese setting wasn't used well but I thought it was used realistically. Sophia doesn't spend her time being wowed by Japan because it's not a new amazing thing for her. It's her home, it's normal. Books set in the USA with American characters aren't full of them discovering things about America.

I think we also need to remember that Sophia didn't choose Japan because she wanted to learn the culture/language. She's there because of her mother. She has zero motivation to make friends with Japanese natives or even really learn Japanese. She's a teen, going to an International school, hanging out with international people.

I loved the way that Japan was portrayed in this book. It felt real. It was just Sophia's every day. She would eat common foods and do common activities that anyone in her age range would. She depended on her mother to do a lot of the actual leg work that it takes to live in Japan.

This book hit me hard because I ended up reading it right around the time that I left Japan. I lived there for 7 years and it was (and still is) my home. I miss it all of the time.

I really loved this book and I really hope that people will enjoy it too and see it for what it is. Please don't go into it thinking it's going to be a "discover Japan/ learn about Japanese culture!" book because it isn't a story about that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Days of You.

March 14, 2016 – Shelved