Allen Garvin's Reviews > Talon of the Silver Hawk

Talon of the Silver Hawk by Raymond E. Feist

it was ok
bookshelves: high-fantasy

Recommended to me Dave as "possibly the best Feist ever". Starts out with a tribal kid out on his day of naming, basically where he becomes a man. He thinks about all his loving family members, great life growing up, and he's up on a mountain all alone. By page 3, I knew his village was going to be wiped out by murdering, cruel thugs of some kind, and hey! page 8 he sees smoke and circling carrion birds in the distance. Of course, you don't read Feist if you want an original Fantasy story, and his tendency to use and re-use and re-re-re-reuse is a bit of a plus. It's usually the narrative where he excels. Anyway, the kid gets left for dead by the thugs and gets picked up and cared for and taught many many things (he's good at everything, like most orphans in Midkemia) and joins the good guys, but there's 300 pages of ALMOST NOTHING HAPPENING. But then, he saves another tribe from a similar fate as his and tracks down and kills one of the leader thugs, but that guy's leader is still left and so the stage is set for book #2. Boring book, but sigh, I feel like I gotta complete the series now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talon of the Silver Hawk.

Started Reading