Sheri-lee's Reviews > Brendan

Brendan by Frederick Buechner

U 50x66

This was an in.ter.est.ing. book. I'm glad I read the J.Philip Newell one first on recommendation by Phil (not Phil Newell...my brother-in-law, Phil). :)

I'm not sure how to like it on the 5 point scale. It took me a bit to adjust to the style, which is very appropriate to the subject matter and point of view...it just took me a bit to adjust to it. There are a lot of gross, and by gross, I mean, expansive or ... pervasive and yet also... unsettling in a primitive/kind of disgusting way (? you know) incidents. I understand the purpose and need of the primitive point of view in understanding how the characters make sense of the world; and as such, those parts are very full of meaning and help the reader place themselves in that time of many unknowns. The rawness of the time where so much of existence felt like chance and capriciousness really comes through. The progess of our time which gives us leisure to think on philosophical things is starkly opposite from scraping together enough food to survive and scraping together enough resources to protect your family from the elements/marauders/etc. The elements are their gods. Chance has to be a god because there is no rhyme or reason to things outside of the semi predictable changing of seasons. There is no medicine against new diseases, or sanitation, or diplomacy, or what not. Still...I find myself wavering between the beauty and the disturbing of this rawness.

So, 4 it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brendan.

March 13, 2016 – Started Reading