Sylvester's Reviews > Diary of a Provincial Lady

Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield

Mar 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: humor

It's not that so much happens, it's that you get to hear this woman's inner thoughts - and they are fun-nee. Witty and funny. I usually detest diary-type novels, but this one is in a league of its own. And I learned something, too - life was hard before tissues were invented. One of the Provincial Lady's recurrent worries is that they are going to or have already run out of handkerchiefs - can you imagine? During cold season? Witha coupla kids in the house? Yikes! Thank.Heavens.For.Kleenex. Anyway, a sample for your reading pleasure.

"Decide to get new dress, but must have it made locally, owing to rather sharply worded enquiry from London shop which has the privilege of serving me, as to whether I have not overlooked overdue portion of account? (Far from overlooking it, have actually been kept awake by it at night.)"

Jibs and jabs like that had me chuckling out loud. Not to mention the bits about her husband Robert, who says more by saying nothing than any character yet. A light, fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Provincial Lady.

message 1: by Bettie☯ (new)

Bettie☯ life was hard before tissues were invented

Ain't that the troof!