Yasaman's Reviews > The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away by A.J. Pine

bookshelves: ebooks, arcs

I recieved a digital copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I stumbled upon this book on NetGalley I knew it would be a sweet story and I had to read it. Needless to say I requested it. And got approved short after. After being on a Fantasy/Sci-Fi reading binge for months I needed something to switch things up, so I picked The One That Got Away up and it was the perfect decicion!

When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

The story starts off ten years back. It's Brynn's and Jamie's senior year, one week before graduation. Brynn is getting ready for a party to finally kiss Spencer Matthews, who she's been crushing on all year. She ends up getting sick with mono (mononucleosis) and Jamie makes sure to take good care of her. This was the day they'd crossed the line of being only friends - with a kiss. Fast forward ten years to their reunion and the road trip that will decide it all.

Brynn and Jamie managed to steal their ways into my heart very quickly and I found myself cheering for them to become a couple just a few pages into the book. They both want the best for each other, but they're also very stubborn and should have just talked things out right away. All the back and forth when it came to making decicions and letting small things change their mind was getting on my nerves, especially when the situation could have been avoided by listening to what the other had to say and not overthink or overanalyze everything. This was especially hard to look past from around 60% until almost 90%, but I still loved them both. I could understand and relate to them.

"I'm still mad at you."
"As you should be."
"But it's a nice gesture. Very gentlemanly."

Holly, Brynn's little sister, is a sweetheart. Their relationship is perfect, it's just the the right amount of support and sisterly "bullying".
Annie is the friend you'd always ask for advice and who'd push you in the right direction, even if you didn't ask her to.

Love is always enough, because if you love someone then you fight to make it work.

I really loved the dual POV and it definitely was necessary in this book, because I wouldn't have understood the character whose head we wouldn't get to look into, if there was only one POV.

Conclusion - 3.75 stars
This book is as sweet as candy. It would have gotten a full four star rating if there wasn't that one third of the book which made me doubt the two main characters because of their indecisiveness. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes a good romance, road trips and wants a light story to fly through, with characters who will have you cheering for them.
The One That Got Away includes mature content.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One That Got Away.

March 13, 2016 – Shelved
March 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 13, 2016 – Shelved as: sub
March 13, 2016 – Shelved as: ebooks
April 24, 2016 – Started Reading
April 24, 2016 –
April 24, 2016 –
24.0% "So far I like this one. This was a good choice after reading too much Fantasy and Sci-Fi"
April 27, 2016 –
56.0% "This book is as sweet as candy. Chocolate, actually."
April 28, 2016 –
59.0% "Don't ruin it now."
April 28, 2016 – Finished Reading